Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm-08 150 gr velocity in short barrel

livetooextreme

I'm wondering if I can reasonably push a 150 gr eldx or Partition at around 2,750 fps in a 20" barrel?

Second, any good recommendations on a lightweight, short barrel rifle for under $1k? Im looking for a short mountain rifle to hunt elk and bhs if I ever draw.

Thanks!

I’ve got a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20” barrel and love it. I’ve got 140 grain Partitions traveling at 2860fps and 120 grain NBTs at 3000fps. I put a McMillan edge fill stock on it. It has a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope sitting in Talley lightweight rings/bases.

I don’t know if that helps you or not, but that’s what I have.

With H414, and powders in the 4350 range i could "only" get to 2,836 fps from a 22" barrel in 7mm-08AI with 140gr bullets.
RL17 is the only powder that went faster.

With a 20" barrel & 150gr pills, i'd say you'd be pushing the pressure envelope pretty good to get what your hoping for.

I don't have an enormous amount of experience handloading, but most of it has been in 7-08. My though is that 150grn partition out of a 20" barrel might be tricky to reach the velocity you want and be accurate. The best load I've got in 7-08 is moving about 2920 fps, but that's a 139grn Interbond with a 24" barrel. I haven't worked a lot with 150grn bullets but I want to say 2700 fps was about the best I did and still kept it on the paper (I'd need to look at my notes). It could be possible, I have this thought you might have more luck with the quicker burning powders commonly used in that cartridge, I've done some good with Varget and 4895. My rifle seems to like Ramshot Big Game the best, but like I said that's with a lighter bullet and longer barrel.

Why so interested in a 20" barrel, out of curiosity?

I think 2700 is probably achievable, but your best accuracy might come at 2600-2650? You could either do the ELD-X, or a 150gr ABLR--either would expand well at typical hunting ranges, starting at that MV. Or you could drop down to a 140-145gr monometal bullet like the Barnes Triple Shock, or LRX, or try the Hammers that get rave reviews.

Why so interested in a 20" barrel, out of curiosity?

Thanks for the quick replies. To explain more, I am going to be running a supressor and want to keep shorter barrel length and weight down

My hunting buddy runs a supressor and I was with him when he shot his bull elk last year and his antelope this year. And man, it is awesome. Neither of us had to wear ears. In case of the bull hunt, everything happened so fast that it was a relief not to have to worry about scrambling for ear protection.

Maybe I'll just look to run a lighter monolithic bullet instead.

I don't know where you're planning to hunt but supressors are not legal everywhere.

Also, other bullets you might look at are the 140grn Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. And my 7-08 seems to really like 139grn Hornady Interbonds (although I haven't ever shot an animal with this bullet yet). Lots of good options out there, but if you're planning to develop a load from scratch for use this fall, you probably want to hustle.

After hearing/reading so many positive reviews on the 7mm 120 grain NBTs, I tried them out last year. I shot 3 bucks last year and had great performance on all of them.

BuzzH and his wife kill so many elk with their 7-08s and 140 grain Accubonds, that I'm thinking about taking my 7-08 this year instead of my 7 SAUM.

I don't know where you're planning to hunt but supressors are not legal everywhere.

Also, other bullets you might look at are the 140grn Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. And my 7-08 seems to really like 139grn Hornady Interbonds (although I haven't ever shot an animal with this bullet yet). Lots of good options out there, but if you're planning to develop a load from scratch for use this fall, you probably want to hustle.

I hunt mainly in Idaho, and it's legal. And luckily I plan on using this rifle next season - so I'm getting a jump on things. This year I'm using my 270 win.
I loaded the 150's ELD-x in my 7/08 and was able to get 2800FPS, I believe the barrel was 22" though. Try reloader 16

Thanks! I was thinking of maybe jumping up to 21 or 22 inch barrel if needed.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back