Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

6-PPC for varmints?

rembo

Looking at a Sako single shot chambered in 6mm PPC.How many of you guys(gals?)use this predominantly BR cartridge as a varminter?

Hi Rembo, Welcome to Moosies.

I don't know about using the PPC for varmints. The brass is pretty expensive and it doesn't keep up with the other 6mm cartridges too well.

Since prairie doggin' can be a pretty exspensive past time when you shoot a regular 6mm, the PPC doesn't sound like a viable option for a working man.

If I were to consider building something close to that, I would probably choose a 6mm Rem BR because of the cost of brass. :cool:

[ 29 April 2001: Message edited by: danr55 ]

Rembo.. I Am Mostly a Big GAme hunter.. But Every now break and then Chase 'Yotes....

I just BAsically Wanted to Say Welcome to Moosies HuntTAlk.com !!!!! It's a Place to HAve FUN Foremost.. And TAlk Hunting SECOND :D :D

Welcome Aboard!!!

Rembo,don't know about the 6mm ppc but do think it should be a good round. I shoot an 243 ackley Improved and in the last month or so a 257 Roberts. In the older days did alot of shooting with a 222rem. Hang in there someone might help you out. Good luck.

Outlaw

[ 01 May 2001: Message edited by: outlaw from Idaho ]

Rembo the 6mm is quite a cost to go after varmints, I would go for a smaller round and a less cost of a round, if you reload your own it will cost less but 6mm I would go for something in .221 Fireball, .222, .223, or 22/250 for varmints and predator hunting.. Just my advise..

Outlaw, Since you are familiar with Ackley improvements, have you ever thought about a 257 Imp.? Ackley called it his most significant improvement. I've been shooting one about 20 years. I started with a regular 257 Roberts 40 years ago.

rembo,

I have a buddy that uses a 6 PPC for varmints (out to 250 yards). If you reload, the cost to reload the 6PPC is rather inexpensive since you can get 30 plus reloads out of each case. It does take some work to work up the brass the first time and fire form it but after that it's cheap to shoot. I assume your a reloader. My buddy uses a ballistic tip to kill coyotes and woodchucks. The 6PPC is only the most accurate cartridge there is at 100 and 200 yards (check the bench rest shooters).

Almost no recoil, fun to shoot, low cost to reload, supper accurate. Whats not to like about a 6PPC? Have fun,

Don

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back