6.5 Weatherby RPM

MTHunter1321

Wondering if anyone has one and their opinions on it. Looking at picking one up in a Weathermark LT as it seems to be a do-it-all from antelope to elk in a lightweight package. Wish I had the means to splurge for the backcountry TI but I actually like the looks of the classic weatherby’s and I can shave 1lb of weight somewhere else for the $1300 cost difference. I would be shooting factory loads at this point but look at reloading down the road. I know it doesn’t have the horsepower of a 300 RUM but I’m looking for something light.

Get ammo first. mtmuley
Call me crazy but I’ve got 60 rounds so far. Will likely make it 80 by tomorrow. That’s one thing that draws me to Weatherby is if they come out with a round it seems they’ll put ammo for it. Whether or not it’s on the shelf is another story

Yeah, if anyone has any spare 6.5 x 300 wby laying around or even some empties, send em my way. Cant shoot if you dont have shells.

Call me crazy but I’ve got 60 rounds so far. Will likely make it 80 by tomorrow. That’s one thing that draws me to Weatherby is if they come out with a round it seems they’ll put ammo for it. Whether or not it’s on the shelf is another story
There's 50 rounds of brass it for $80 plus maybe a couple boxes of Wby ammo at a store down the road which I'll be visiting on Monday. They say the .264 Win mag causes a lot of meat damage, but this one could be worse and I would not use lead based bullets in it. The Hammers or Barnes or any all copper bullet would be preferred. Awhile back I picked up 90 rounds of brass for someone here, but he wanted the 6.5 x .300 Wby so the 6.5 Wby RPM ended up in New Mexico.

There's 50 rounds of brass it for $80 plus maybe a couple boxes of Wby ammo at a store down the road which I'll be visiting on Monday. They say the .264 Win mag causes a lot of meat damage, but this one could be worse and I would not use lead based bullets in it. The Hammers or Barnes or any all copper bullet would be preferred. Awhile back I picked up 90 rounds of brass for someone here, but he wanted the 6.5 x .300 Wby so the 6.5 Wby RPM ended up in New Mexico.
The round I’ve got are the 127 Barnes, and that’s all I would have interest in shooting. I’ve had some poor experiences with lead bass bullets in hunting situations. I’d have to think that the .264 meat damage is based off target selection and not necessarily the caliber in general? A well placed shot with a copper bullet shouldn’t ruin much meat IMO. Has anyone shot the caliber or know anyone who has that can attest to accuracy, etc?

The round I’ve got are the 127 Barnes, and that’s all I would have interest in shooting. I’ve had some poor experiences with lead bass bullets in hunting situations. I’d have to think that the .264 meat damage is based off target selection and not necessarily the caliber in general? A well placed shot with a copper bullet shouldn’t ruin much meat IMO. Has anyone shot the caliber or know anyone who has that can attest to accuracy, etc?
The .264 Win mag has been around for quite some time and generally was the king of commercially available 6.5mm cartridges for a lot of that time. It will likely do well with the Barnes 127 LRX bullets.

Sounds like you've made up your mind! Glad you found ammo. Looks like a fine rifle and should kill most things just fine. I'd have gone .257 WBY Mag, but that's just me.

Sounds like you've made up your mind! Glad you found ammo. Looks like a fine rifle and should kill most things just fine. I'd have gone .257 WBY Mag, but that's just me.
Yup, officially ordered it today. Should be here in 30-60 days according to the dealer. Have a new VX3i sitting in my safe ready to top it off when it gets here. .257 wby definitely intrigued me, scheels here has a vanguard one that tempts me every time I see it. Ultimately I just wanted to be able to do a slightly heavier bullet and have a lightweight, do it all rifle without breaking my bank account too bad.

I have the TI in RPM, it likes the 140 accubond, I broke it in on Hornady interlock and it shoots that damn well also. Used it on a blackbuck and a axis deer in Texas back in March with excellent results, and no it wasn't under a feeder but spot and stock, 280 was longest shot. I believe the round will work for elk but I personally will stick with my 280ai for them, it likes to get out of the house also. My only complaint with Weatherby Mark V is their safety is damn tough to get used to. Its just awkward compared to either a Model 70 type wing safety, or a vanguard tang type, otherwise its a damn fine rifle.

I have the TI in RPM, it likes the 140 accubond, I broke it in on Hornady interlock and it shoots that damn well also. Used it on a blackbuck and a axis deer in Texas back in March with excellent results, and no it wasn't under a feeder but spot and stock, 280 was longest shot. I believe the round will work for elk but I personally will stick with my 280ai for them, it likes to get out of the house also. My only complaint with Weatherby Mark V is their safety is damn tough to get used to. Its just awkward compared to either a Model 70 type wing safety, or a vanguard tang type, otherwise its a damn fine rifle.
Have you tried the Barnes 129 TSX out of yours? The Ti sure is appealing for the weight!

No I have not, I have pretty much always been married to nobler bullets, not that I'm against Barnes, next time I see a box I will put rounds down range.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back