308 cal bullet recommendation for bison?

johnnybow

Active member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
112
Im Currently shooting a 308 cal 130 grain ttsx with great results on African plains game this year but I feel it might be too light on a 3 year old bull bison. Any suggestions on bullets? Thanks
 
Ryan on the vortex podcast has a story about shooting a bison with that 130 ttsx load, sounds like it was a one and done. I’ve been pretty happy with the performance on deer within its range capability. I have one 308 that really like that 130 and another that I shoot 165 accubonds in. I don’t think I’d hesitate to use those or a partition, probably whatever shot better.
 
Took my 1st cow bison with a 308 and a 165 gr bonded bullet and she dropped right in her tracks. Shoot him behind the ear and he will drop.
 
Your 130 grain TTSX would do the job. If uncertain then can step up to a 150 grain TTSX, or a 165g Accubond, partition or other bonded bullet.

I hesitate going up to 180 grain with 308 as you loose the velocity. I'm sure it would work though. More about the shot placement.
 
Back
Top