300WM Twist Rate?

TexAg09

Howdy, I'm looking to add a long coveted 300 win mag to the gun cabinet, but the rifles I'm looking at have different twist rates. One is 1:10 and the other in 1:8. I'm not set on using a particular bullet weight yet, but I'm leaning towards the 1:8. Any reason to stay away from the 1:8? Are modern bullets really prone to spinning apart at higher twist rates or is that just old man grumbling? Anything else I should be aware of? I appreciate any guidance.

Unless you plan on shooting ultra light shitty bullets 1:8 is your huckleberry. It’s gonna shine with 200+ gr bullets and no way your gonna spin 150-200’s fast enough out of a WM to blow em up. If you do decide to shoot ultralight bullets just shoot solids.

A 1 in 10 shoots 200s awfully good in my rifle.
I wouldn't shy away from a 1-8" barrel, but it may only matter for the 230gr class bullets.
No matter the barrel, it won't be very feasible to have a 1-8 to shoot the long heavies, if the mag area can't feed those longer bullets seated where they need to be, to shoot well to begin with.
Most actions won't allow longs without some work, and some money spent getting it done.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back