Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.300 Win Mag. One rifle change bullets

Use the Barnes 168 TTSX for everything. It will not disappoint.

I love TTSX, but for 300 WinMag I think the preferred is the 165 (I am sure both work fine). This is from the Barnes website:

These bullets have different ogive geometries. The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive in the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a secant ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby.

. . . I guess being new . . .

I am amazed at the relatively low number of folks who shoot 300wm well at the range, but they all insist they love the cartridge. I know hunttalk has lots of seasoned hunters who love the cartridge and do amazing things with them (and I love my 300wsm). But if you are relatively new to big game rifle cartridges I think you will be much better served by starting with a 6.5CM, 7mm08 or .270 (even a .308 if you insist on 30 cal). You will kill everything from woodchucks to elk. These calibers give you much less recoil which makes it easier to practice, practice, practice. Shooter accuracy in the field is way more important to clean kills than beefing up to 30 cal magnums. Given the tag prices and rarity of the hunts, if you eventually go for bison or grizzly you can always sell it and buy a 300wm (or better at that point maybe you will want two guns). Each of them has a "one bullet" option as well.

Last edited:
Back