Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

3 shots 2 dogs

T Bone

This morning I woke up way too early and had the day off so I camo'd up, grabbed the rifle, bunny call and bipod and took off before the sky was getting light.

1st set: I drive in by moonlight, park and walk about 1/2 mile over a ridge. Its still way too dark. I sit for a while listening to the desert night sounds. I was getting too cold so I started squawking. In the middle of the 2nd squawk I see movement in front of me, its closing fast. RIGHT IN FRONT. 5 YARDS IN FRONT. Still too dark. I sight down the barrel and let it rip. Dead doggy. Medium sized male with a .277 hole in front shoulder, baseball sized hole in opposite ham.

2nd set- nothing

3rd set- I set up near a stock watering tank and start squawking. about 3 minutes into calling I hear crashing behind me. Spooked a cow, I think. Crunching and crashing getting closer! Big dog runs 15 yards to the side of me with wreckless abandon, its jumping over the sage. I lip squeak, he stops 60 yards and looks at me. I touch off and shoot over him. He trots off to the right, my second shot goes through both shoulders and spine. .277 hole in and out.

Big male with one ear gone.

My friend that is teaching me the ropes of predator calling still cringes when I bring the 270, but thats the smallest bore centerfire I own and I feel confident with it. I'm not hunting for fur either, its just something thats fun and it keeps my shooting skills sharp.

This is only my 2nd and 3rd coyote while hunting for them. Why is it that the 1st dog came in silent, and the other came in noisy like a bull? I guess its like bull elk, some come silent, others scream every step of the way.

Sorry no pics, I'm going to start carrying a disposable camera.

Thats my story.

T Bone

T Bone, Tell your friend you know a old guy that used a 270 on coyotes before he was born lol. I don't really know about that one but there is nothing wrong with using a 270 as long as your not saving fur.
I well say this though. Some of them northern Nevada coyotes have nice fur, besides that you can take bobcats, damn I wish I could, you guys have BIG bobcats. When it was legal, I took many cats but a couple of cats were over 30 lbs out of Nevada. I know one guy that got a 45 lb bobcat north of Battle Mountian. Maybe you do need a smaller cal lol. Good Hunting

Is there a market for coyote pelts again (during winter)?

I know the first coyote I shot when I was a kid I got $40 for. That was in the late 80's. Since then I'd heard that there was no market for coyote, $50 for good bobcat, $20 for fox.

Any idea what they go for now? Maybe this winter it good offset my expenses.

Cool Story!

I bet you are hooked now.

Some folks don't believe this but in 78/79 we were getting $80-$100 bucks a coyote. On the carcass!!

Good money for a high school kid in those days

You never know about the pelt market. Last I read in Trapper Predator caller, the Nevada trappers Asso. averaged about $160 a bobcat (I think) and top cat went for more then 300 big ones. Good coyotes are around 30 to 40 bucks in that region and that's what fur prices goes by. I think Nevada is Region 7 but don't hold me to it. Just a couple years ago coyotes were around 10 bucks each, not really worth casing, 30 or 40 bucks is a different story. If you can get four or five cats a week, you don't need a real job lol. Good Hunting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back