3-5 day DIY deer hunting destinations

Why not try here in Missouri, plenty of tags, plenty of deer, and plenty of public land. Plenty of hunters too though.

Reactions: LCH
I have been up to the BWCA at least 20 times in the last 10 years, and it is a dream to hunt up there. In those 20 trips (and another 100 trips from friends) we could count the number of deer seen on one hand. That being said, it would be a ton of fun and is on my list of places to hunt. Historically you will run into ice during ML hunt which is 11/30-12/15 this year. It will be cold that time of year around 10-25 F. You will be better off looking for camping/hiking in the arrow head - at least that is my plan. It will not be busy, and with a short walk I think you can get into pretty untouched country.

What about Illinois? A lot of public land around Shawnee that's a pretty short drive to Kentucky. The second lottery tag app date is 6/30, and if you get muzzle loader tags it gives you the option to hunt the 4 days during second firearm season or 3 days the following weekend.

I have been up to the BWCA at least 20 times in the last 10 years, and it is a dream to hunt up there. In those 20 trips (and another 100 trips from friends) we could count the number of deer seen on one hand. That being said, it would be a ton of fun and is on my list of places to hunt. Historically you will run into ice during ML hunt which is 11/30-12/15 this year. It will be cold that time of year around 10-25 F. You will be better off looking for camping/hiking in the arrow head - at least that is my plan. It will not be busy, and with a short walk I think you can get into pretty untouched country.

Hunting the arrowhead is a different animal than the bwca. One being there is actually deer. Lol

It’s a different style altogether tho. Especially if there is snow.

I realize now that my earlier post might have come off as "nonresidents stay out of my state"....hope that's not the case as that's not what I meant....if anyone does pony up the $ and pts to draw an IA deer tag there's definitely good hunting to be had. Not a ton of public but I've not had problems finding good public land to hunt and if you're in the right place at the right time there's a chance for tagging a real monster of a whitetail

IA public land whitetail is tricky. The volume of poaching during archery season is ridiculous. I've hunted all over the state, and probably the most important consideration is that what looks great on Google Earth looks good to everyone else, and these spots almost always get hammered. I start with the worst-looking habitat on public land that still holds deer, and scout these areas for overlooked bucks.

Kansas is definitely a state to look into for whitetails, everyone i know that hunts there has killed at least one mature buck.

West river of south dakota is an underrated place for whitetails and most units can be drawn with 0-1 point. I've encountered lots of mature bucks threw the years chasing mule deer around the prairies out there.

With some fresh snow and cold weather the muzzleloader hunting is pretty good on public land around my place in west central Wisconsin. Still hunting freshly logged areas and clearcuts early mornings and late afternoons has yielded countless opportunities for me.

Kansas is a great place for a DIY deer hunt. I have been there 3 times bow hunting shot 1 nice buck, and had opportunity at good bucks the other years, I missed one 🤦‍♂️ and seen several shooters that just would not cooperate. The draw deadline has already passed for KS.
I would avoid the UP, just not a lot of good quality deer hunting on public lands, although with a little leg work you could probably find some farms to hunt.
If you have questions about KS you can PM me I would be more than happy to help.

If you decide to try VA I would be happy to show you some places in the Roanoke area. If not this year, but you think you might want to come in the future, I do all my scouting Jan-Mar. Be glad for you to tag along. Other than the local NF and a few WMA's I couldn't help you much. I hear good things about Ft. A.P. Hill, though.

Here's a good representation of what it would be like:

Good luck!

If you decide to try VA I would be happy to show you some places in the Roanoke area. If not this year, but you think you might want to come in the future, I do all my scouting Jan-Mar. Be glad for you to tag along. Other than the local NF and a few WMA's I couldn't help you much. I hear good things about Ft. A.P. Hill, though.

Here's a good representation of what it would be like:

Good luck!
I hunt fort AP hill a lot. The buck on my profile was killed there.

Black Hills of SD. Takes a few years of points but it is a great hunt. Lots of deer ( mostly whitetail ) but it is mostly a spot and stalk style of hunting. The black hills are beautiful and temps in Nov are generally pretty good close to a hotel if that’s your choice or just camp.

Boundary Waters is not a deer hunting destination. I know some really good deer hunters that have hunted the entire rifle season there and struggled to cut a track. 99% of the public land is devoid of deer. The few deer in there are closer to the cities. I only live 2 hours away and I would not waste my time in there.
Yes, I would tend to agree, especially now. Very few deer on crown land in NW Ontario as well. Private land in agricultural areas and crown land within 5 km of most larger towns are where deer are aside from a few pockets here and there. Very tough. 10-15 years ago the numbers and quality much better.

I’ll just say that I’ve hunted throughout the Upper Great Lakes states/provinces. I’ve started traveling south and west however. Follow the deer.

I would try MO or KS. I'd also add MT with the BMA lands there are lots of opportunities. Lots of good deer hunting to be had in those states. You might also add Arkansas, as since they implemented antler restrictions nearly 20 years ago, they are getting some big bucks where a 4 point was big in the 90's. I love whitetail hunting, as it's what I grew up doing, but living in Alaska we don't have whitetails. I hope to get on some black tails in the near future.

Bulls Island in SC. Unique hunt and nice weather later in the season. It’s archery only and you’ll have to arrange transportation to the island.

Do you live in SC? I ask as I may be interested in this hunt in the near future. I will be at Ft. Jackson in 18 days to see my son graduate form Army BCT. When I was AD Air Force, I used to try to get stationed at Charleston AFB, but never could. I did make it there for a summer in 2011 on a TDY. The wife and kids got to come for a couple of weeks and visit and we fell in love with the place. We are on limited time, but we wanted to look for some land a little in land from Charleston and enough land to hunt on. We plan on keeping our place in AK, but our goal is in 3 years to purchase land in SC, and eventually build a house on it.

I do live in SC, about 25 miles from North Myrtle Beach. There is a ton of hunting opportunity in the state. Lots of NF, NWR, state WMAs and private leases available to hunt on.

I used to bow hunt Ft. Riley KS quite a bit though last time I was there was ~10 years ago. At least then, it held some really big deer and there was always plenty of land open to hunting. Was a fun hunt for sure. If you ever go there on a bow hunt, make sure to also get a turkey permit too as that place was overrun with them at the time. Btw, Civilians can hunt there with a permit.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back