2nd trip to the turkey woods 07

Wally Dog

This is what the 3 longbeards saw when they came around the end of the brush timber patch.

P5050991.JPG

Friday evening we watched the buggers roost only 50 yards from my prefered blind location so I chose another spot to set up bout 100 yards downhill. They and several others gobbled in the roost Saturday morning starting at 4:45 pst, hit the ground and continued gobbling their butts off. They drifted off but I knew they had heard me and would likely return. I kept after it and and 30 minutes after flydown I got a closing gobble, then multiple gobbles. I thought it might be the bachelors. They gobbled several times within 50 yards behind us, but we couldn't see them. A hen chimed in from the other side of our setup and the boys went nuts. I had them going, the hen had them going......then they cleared the end of the trees and came strutting in. Once again I had the video camera but chose to grab the smokepole instead. They danced around the jake decoy at 15 yards. I told my daughters boyfriend (that I had in tow) to just watch and see if they'd kick the jakes butt. They didn't, just strutted and gobbled in unison twice at 15 yards! Countdown time, 1-2-3, only one of trio remain!
Kurtis's bird is a nice 3 yr old, mine a decent 2 yr old. Mine eastern marked and the other another Idaho Mutt.
P5050979.JPG

P5050988.JPG

P5050982.JPG

Dang Wally, you da' man! Those are some great looking birds.....again. Good job on the turkey slaying this year!

BTW, did you make that wingbone yelper from one of your hard earned gobblers? Just curious.

Wiley, I made a couple out of the wingbones of a hen my friend shot in a fall hunt.
They work great I just need to fancy them up a little.
WD

Really nice birds!!
I like that 3rd picture with the trail of "pattern feathers". Looks like a "photo where they fall shot"!! Good job!! :cool:

Back