Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.260?

Mike Taylor

Thinking about retiring my old .257 Roberts - .260 seems like a nice flat shooting caliber.
Any thots or suggestions?

Are you a hand loader? If not there are better options for factory ammo.

I went with the 260ai as it fills a nice gap between the Creedmoor and the 6.5-284. From what I gather it is easier on Barrel life than the 6.5-284.

I do handload. In looking about the .260 seemed to have quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to loads. Seems like you can make it reach out, keep a reasonable amount of killing power and still shoot pretty flat. So you like the AI ?

I do handload. In looking about the .260 seemed to have quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to loads. Seems like you can make it reach out, keep a reasonable amount of killing power and still shoot pretty flat. So you like the AI ?

Originally I was reaming out a barrel chambered as a Creedmoor. The barrel had other issues so we scrapped it. I had already bought everything so I am going to stay with a AI.

In my creedmoor I was running a 140 Accubond at 2950 with Rl26. By going 260 AI I can mimic that without such a compressed load.

Last edited:
How about other loads with the 260AI? Have you experimented with other bullets and powders?

The .260Rem is an excellent cartridge! It has a slight velocity edge over the 6.5CM, but the 6.5CM handles today’s long bullets a little better while staying at magazine length. It’s really close to a 257Rob in terms of case capacity to bore ratio, but 6.5 bullets come in much higher weights. To match the flatness of your .257Rob you could stick to 120’s, or up your game a little. In a short action I would lean toward a .260AI, otherwise I would lead more toward a 6.5x55, 6.5-284 or 6.5-06. If not interested in a long action or an AI, and the AI is a little more hassle and expense, then I’d lean 6.5CM if buying new or .260Rem if looking for a deal on a used rig.

The .260Rem is an excellent cartridge! It has a slight velocity edge over the 6.5CM, but the 6.5CM handles today’s long bullets a little better while staying at magazine length. It’s really close to a 257Rob in terms of case capacity to bore ratio, but 6.5 bullets come in much higher weights. To match the flatness of your .257Rob you could stick to 120’s, or up your game a little. In a short action I would lean toward a .260AI, otherwise I would lead more toward a 6.5x55, 6.5-284 or 6.5-06. If not interested in a long action or an AI, and the AI is a little more hassle and expense, then I’d lean 6.5CM if buying new or .260Rem if looking for a deal on a used rig.
What are the hassles you mention with the AI?
I really love my Roberts, just thinking of expanding my pallet!😀. I’m content with 120 gr or less

I really love my Roberts, just thinking of expanding my pallet!😀. I’m content with 120 gr or less

Fire-forming primarily. Dies can be a slight hassle, but the .260AI is reasonably common. Are you re-barreling or buying a new gun? If Re-barreling, what action are you using? For Mauser actions the 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5-257Rob, and 6.5-284 are all excellent fits, and all at least equal to the .260AI.

I do like AI’s. I have had two .223AI’s, and have two 6.5-257RobAI’s. I have a buddy with a .280AI and plan to build one with his reamer. They are excellent. Nonetheless, fireforming not only costs time, but components and if you don’t have a second forming barrel, barrel life. Lots of guys will rebarrel an AI, but keep the old barrel, chamber the new one with the same reamer to the same headspace, and screw on the forming barrel to make new brass, then switch back.

Last edited:

There is also possibly a feeding issue, but that is really depending on your rifle. The Smith should be able to take care of most of it. I have a CRF and it may require a center magazine pick up verses the stacked it came with.

Fire-forming primarily. Dies can be a slight hassle, but the .260AI is reasonably common. Are you re-barreling or buying a new gun? If Re-barreling, what action are you using? For Mauser actions the 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5-257Rob, and 6.5-284 are all excellent fits, and all at least equal to the .260AI.
I am thinking of going new - found a great gunsmith who could do the whole number for me. I am a fan of Mauser actions ( my Roberts sports one).

There is also possibly a feeding issue, but that is really depending on your rifle. The Smith should be able to take care of most of it. I have a CRF and it may require a center magazine pick up verses the stacked it came with.
Thanks. I would not have known that.

Very true. I haven’t had any issues, but they can come up. I converted to a MagPul detachable mag which would avoid any issues, but I didn’t have any prior to that. Mausers will be much more likely to require work to make an AI feed.

Man if you wanna do another Mauser, I’d have a hard time not recommending a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. It’ll outperform a .260 and fit that Mauser just right.

I'm still scratching my head wondering why anyone would retire their 257 Roberts???

"Most useful round ever devised".

I’d probably just go a straight up 260 and shoot a 130 out of it. The 130 Bergers out of my 6.5x47 have been an awesome combo

Back