MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

250 spine Arrow shafts?

R.K.

Starting to run low on arrows, looking to add a little weight to my next batch. Which means I need to step up in spine a little bit.

Currently shooting 70# @ 30", with 300 spine arrows at 442 grain total weight. I'd like to get up to 550gr or so, and that means inserts or big broadheads, which the 300s won't handle.

Final build- I'm looking at 30.5" arrows, ~550gr, 3 fletch helical. I'd like to start with standard inserts and vary the point weight (I have 85-250gr field points) to find the right mix. Then pick the broadhead, then add insert weight to achieve that balance.

So- any suggestions on decent arrow shafts that won't bankrupt me while I keep trying to save for a house?

If you have the correct spine for your setup, there are other ways to increase weight such as heavier inserts, heavier head, weight tubes for inside of your shafts, etc.

I’d like to get up to 550gr or so, and that means inserts or big broadheads, which the 300s won't handle.

You may be surprised. I’d let your bow tell you what it likes. My current heavy setup is 616gr with 175gr single bevel, 100gr insert, I think 9.7gpi 29.625 carbon to carbon, that does great with the 300 spine. That’s Victory VForce shafts, which are very affordable.

Any reason not to just look at heavier gpi 300 spine arrows to increase your overall arrow weight vs messing with all sorts of point weight
Haven't found a 15 gpi shaft. And moving up in spine would allow me to bump up to a single bevel if I decide to make that leap, since they're typically heavier.

I like the idea of solid steel and being able to sharpen them repeatedly, instead of having to treat them as disposable.

You may be surprised. I’d let your bow tell you what it likes. My current heavy setup is 616gr with 175gr single bevel, 100gr insert, I think 9.7gpi 29.625 carbon to carbon, that does great with the 300 spine. That’s Victory VForce shafts, which are very affordable.
I'll be sure to check those out. And that's part of why I have the different field points- to try figuring out what my bow likes. But putting 175gr on the front of either of my 300 spines threw them out of tune- they were too weak.

I'd stick with the one I have, except they don't make the one anymore. So since I have to change one thing, might as well go all in on this other thing.

I’ve got 300 spine DaySix arrows at 29” carbon to carbon with a centric insert and 125 gr broadhead. Puts me right at your ideal 550 gr. goal weight.

Stick with standard diameter (.244-.246") shafts for affordability and simplicity of components. A 250 spine 30.5" Black Eagle Carnivore (9.7 gpi), Easton Acu-Carbon 6.5mm (10.0 gpi), Gold Tip Hunter (10.6 gpi), or Victory VForce (10.8 gpi) could hit your target total weight with 200-225 gr on the front and 30 gr on the back.

The main part that I guess I've neglected to mention so far, is that I'd like to shoot a solid head that I can resharpen and reuse instead of having "disposable" or "target only" heads taking up space after I shoot them once. Solid heads are definitely more robust, but they're also heavier. And that means I have to bump up in spine with my current setup to be able to handle them, since I have confirmed the limit with my current setup.

What draw weight are you pulling with that? I have a Bowtech Reign 7, pulling 70 lb and IBO rated for 340 FPS. I've tried my current arrows with higher point weight, and they start flying very funny with a 175. I could try lighted nocks or nock inserts to lower the dynamic spine, but it seems like that trick only gets me so much. And since I have to change the shaft I'm running (old ones are discontinued), I thought I'd go all in for the setup I've been wanting to try for a while.

Why are your arrows longer than your draw length?

Shooting fixed blades, want a little extra room to get it past my fingers. I guess that's a habit leftover from when I shot a two-prong rest. And the QAD Exodus were getting kinda tight. Additionally, I did a lot of work on my form last year (really improved the 60yd groups) and dropped the draw length to 29.5", but since I've been hitting the gym and working on shoulder mobility, it's starting to feel too short, and I'd like to have the ability to lengthen it in the future if necessary.

If you have the correct spine for your setup, there are other ways to increase weight such as heavier inserts, heavier head, weight tubes for inside of your shafts, etc.

It works well for this arrow weight and setup, but I can't get my preferred shafts anymore. And it seems like I'm right on the edge with both the 300 spine arrows I have with my setup- less than 50gr of point weight to play with from what I've seen. So if I have to change up shafts, and want different broadheads, and am interested in a higher-momentum setup, then now is the time to make the change.

10-4. I’ve always cut mine about a 1/2” in front of my rest. Always curious to hear why some folks like theirs cut longer.

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your search.

My draw length is at 29in and draw weight is 70lbs. I was in your shoes back in 2018. I ended up going with Black Eagle X Impact arrows in .250 spine and Valkyrie 200 gr blood Eagles. I talked with the guys at Black Eagle and they were very helpful. They didn't push their product on me and we went over the process of choosing the right arrow for what I was wanting I even talked about other arrow brands with them and they did not bash them to make a sale. With the heaveir arrow set up my bow felt totally different and was so much quieter. I bare shaft tuned it and with the high FOC I was amazed at how accurate ot was without putting vanes on the shaft. I even put a broadhead on it and shot it out to 30yds on a calm day! I have killed several deer with this set up and it zips through them and and bone doesn't stop them from going on through and into the ground.

What draw weight are you pulling with that?
70# draw, 30in length. Bowtech Fuel. IBO 319 if I remember correctly. Grizzlystik Samurai 175gr single bevel and 100gr insert up front. Quickfletch and lighted nock on the back. Victory V Force 300 shafts. 616gr total, 18.7 foc, 217fps. Slow, I know, but it keeps going. Bare shaft tuned it and field tips and broadheads land <2” from one another at 40yds.

I like the Easton axis, not cheap, but not the most expensive... I bought some ethics archery inserts to get more weight up front and keep my reusable VPA 3 blades. I have an axis 340 that's 550 grains and a 300 at 625 grains...

IMG_20220427_124803_523.jpg

Back