223 Trainer, 100 yard group:

Guy

For those who don't know, I work with Gavin Gear at Ultimate Reloader. It's a website and a YouTube channel. It's his baby, he created it about ten years ago. He's brought a few of us on to help him during this past year. He pays me to handload, shoot, write about it, make firearms related videos with him, take photos, sweep the floors, air up the tires, whatever. :) It's fun for this semi-retired fellow. Today at the end of the day I took my first three shots with a rifle he built, his "223 Trainer."

Well, Gavin builds one heck of a rifle. The point of impact is off because we screwed a suppressor onto the barrel. It had been sighted in without one. Ammo was factory Berger 77 grain OTM 223... Goodness. This is such an easy rifle to shoot well.

hDFtf59h.jpg

Ya, I know, no eye protection. My glasses were sunglasses and we were shooting at last light. I removed them. Still seem to have two eyes. ;)

2iWevA3h.jpg

I guess the ol' jarhead can still shoot okay, at least from a bench.

Regards, Guy

Nice! I just finished watching a bunch of your videos Guy! Keep up the good work. UR is only getting better as it gets more diverse in topics!

Reactions: Guy
Yeah, i used to watch Gavin.
I stopped when everything seemed to go to a PRS format.

Ah, I'm there now, doing articles & videos about hunting, hunting rifles, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, etc... :)

Take a look if you get a chance, you'll find my articles started in earnest last summer.

Regards, Guy

For those who don't know, I work with Gavin Gear at Ultimate Reloader. It's a website and a YouTube channel. It's his baby, he created it about ten years ago. He's brought a few of us on to help him during this past year. He pays me to handload, shoot, write about it, make firearms related videos with him, take photos, sweep the floors, air up the tires, whatever. :) It's fun for this semi-retired fellow. Today at the end of the day I took my first three shots with a rifle he built, his "223 Trainer."

Well, Gavin builds one heck of a rifle. The point of impact is off because we screwed a suppressor onto the barrel. It had been sighted in without one. Ammo was factory Berger 77 grain OTM 223... Goodness. This is such an easy rifle to shoot well.

Ya, I know, no eye protection. My glasses were sunglasses and we were shooting at last light. I removed them. Still seem to have two eyes. ;)

Regards, Guy
Gavin's videos are very informative - a youtuber worth following. But, please pass along to Gavin, not to forget about the budget loader and the "middle class loader". I made a joke on an earlier HT thread where Gavin was mentioned, that there isn't a $100 problem that Gavin doesn't have $1,000 answer for. It wasn't meant as a criticism, just an observation. Gavin has all the tools and all the toys so it would be great if he routinely showed off the full range of solutions - the $10 solution, the $100 solution and the $1,000 -- that would be interesting and helpful to a broader audience in my opinion. For example, I liked when he did a video on the $25 single-hand loader from Lee - it was a great juxtaposition to a $800 hand turret press video.

Take care - and keep making good videos.

-VG

Gavin's videos are very informative - a youtuber worth following. But, please pass along to Gavin, not to forget about the budget loader and the "middle class loader".

I’m still trying to make my way through all the older videos. Really don’t care much for the new ones.

Reactions: Guy
I’m still trying to make my way through all the older videos. Really don’t care much for the new ones.
Some have felt a little bit like paid advertising, but I get it, folks have to make a living. It's a fine balance that he hasn't quite tuned into from my viewpoint. But to each their own. There is a lot of good in there too - and i will continue following him.

Wow - I really appreciate the input/feedback guys.

Gavin realized that his projects were getting more and more expensive, and brought me on to talk about hunting bullets, low budget handloading and all that. I've been doing a number of videos & articles there now that do just that. We're getting some video & photos of me reloading at home on my own little bench, then taking that ammo to the range or even hunting.

Did an article about a father-son mule deer hunt, and did one on the 30-06 that has gotten good reviews. Also have tested a few "regular" reloading tools. We've done some shooting with the 45-70 & 30-30 lever guns too.

Link to the 30-06 video & article - a lot of folks don't know that there's a written article that accompanies each video now:

So ya, there's some new content that isn't all expensive and ultra precision. That's me. :)

Regards, Guy

hDFtf59h.jpg

2iWevA3h.jpg

Regards, Guy
Very nice. Relatively few can shoot that well even from a bench! I'm one of them!

Link to the 30-06 video & article - a lot of folks don't know that there's a written article that accompanies each video now:
I prefer going to the webpage when I see the YouTube video.

Seems their new rules are really sending people off the platform for other hosting resources

Back