2021 MT archery 620-21

Flatbrimmer

I don’t quite know where to begin. I drew the tag for the second year in a row. (Resident) last year I had no idea what to expect, took my wife and kids because I almost never have solid hunting partners that will go if it requires missing a day of work, not having their own tag, or isn’t their idea. We tried to fish the smaller lower portion of the lake and didn’t catch much beside a few small perch. I hiked a bit the first morning, but knowing mamas back at home whippin up some breakfast when you’re all alone not seeing much can play it’s tole on your mind.. I saw a cow/calf pair and glassed them bedded for hours looking for more, trying to ease in closer.. I know the bulls are screaming and rutting at this time.. I don’t know where her old man was… So without wanting to bump them and not seeing or hearing much else I chose the breakfast. Get back and find there is no breakfast! Nah instead nearly half the camp has flown away in gusty winds almost to the water… we pack our shit and bone outta fourchette bay…
We cruised around the flats, looking at the prairie reserve, and my wife spots a few BIG racks skylining on a far off butte. They were on a private portion. We glass them for awhile on our way further into the flats toward burnt lodge and I see what appears to be hundreds of miles of prairie 360 degrees… I Feel like a fool for my dinky ass little gas cans I came equipped with.. and here comes some rain… 😩 We both were trippin! So we drove 3/4 of the way then turned around and FLEW outta there🤣🤣 my wife and I were so paranoid from the storys, we went to Malta, refueled and re-iced, and drove back toward James Kipp…
At this point my wife and kids just wanted to fish and look at the hype at slippery Ann and I was realizing how little I enjoy hunting by myself… I have to have SOMEONE to give a high five to and relive that memory with.. after all, I’m the only one eating it, besides the friends I gift meat to… I am too extroverted.. could hike all day if I had a buddy to hike with, leave early when alone and then pissed at myself for not being out when I get home or back to camp… haha a personal problem, I know…
This year, I’m NOT taking the wife and kids and eliminating the distraction. I’d rather try to go alone then bring them again, and she hated it really bad there anyway… 😂 I have one buddy who will be on his first year of archery hunting, no elk tag but could take a badlands buck up there if he found one- and he hikes his ass off. Shoots well, and he seems anxious! Sometimes flaky though.. anyone else have this tag this year? Would you take an extra at camp? I or we would hunt the other direction if need be, but it’d be cool for the Camaraderie, insight on the area, make future hunting and fishing buddies, pack out help etc? I’m not sure if I should go back to fourchette and put a canoe in and use it to cover some shoreline… that place gets choppy… I was thinking perhaps west from James kipp like cow creek area if anyone’s been that way? There’s so much land to cover, I could use some Hunt Talk Help. Thanks in advance!

Pick an area and hunt it hard from prior to sun up to sun down. No need to over think it. You're probably not going to find much luck for a random hunter to bring you into camp thats spent the boot leather and time to figure out the country. I could be wrong. Stay mobile until you're into them. Good luck.

Pick an area and hunt it hard from prior to sun up to sun down. No need to over think it. You're probably not going to find much luck for a random hunter to bring you into camp thats spent the boot leather and time to figure out the country. I could be wrong. Stay mobile until you're into them. Good luck.
Probably not, I know. But worth a try. I’m the friendly type that would invite anyone willing… good advice and thank you

I think Fort Peck is about the last place I'd consider launching a canoe. Good move on bailing under the threat of rain, there are some roads that are fine when it gets wet, but the vast majority are pretty much impassable. I hunt that area a lot (I have the tag again this year) and my advice is to just cover country. Good luck and hopefully someone will take you under their wing...unfortunately I do like hunting alone.

You can say it now @Tjd ....... this thread would apply to your comment I've called you on 2 times.

You serious clark!!!!??? I love the breaks! Never held a tag personally, but still love it.

hunting solo lets you realize all the shat that doesn't work. Make those crucial decisions on your own.. find the elk and just get in front of them. “Find them” first…

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back