2020 Bull Moose Southwestern Montana

Dang man, congrats! I was sweatin' punching my sheep tag on that very same date. Way to stick it out and get it done.

I do have a question for everyone again. I have cooked a few pieces of the meat so far and they taste off.... the meat cooled off very quickly so I know it didn't spoil and I was able to age it for about a week at 30°- 40° so I know that there was no issue there. But the meat tastes a tad swampy. It's not a awful taste just a tad off putting at first. But once I eat a few pieces I guess I get used to it and it tastes pretty good. So is that just how moose taste? A tad swampy?

The one I took tastes similar to beef. It was freezing cold the day I took mine, might have helped a little.

The one I took tastes similar to beef. It was freezing cold the day I took mine, might have helped a little.
That's what I thought it should taste like. And yeah within 12 hours of shooting him he froze. Right after I shot him it started blizzarding so he cooled out pretty quick

That's what I thought it should taste like. And yeah within 12 hours of shooting him he froze. Right after I shot him it started blizzarding so he cooled out pretty quick
Congratulations on your success. Did you skin him out soon after? What does the meat smell like? Mine was not just good, it was excellent...

Congratulations on your success. Did you skin him out soon after? What does the meat smell like? Mine was not just good, it was excellent...
I skinned back the quarters but he froze by the time I got him home. It smell and tastes just like swamp water and grass. I even tried the heart tonight and it had the same awful taste. The moose I've had before were moose that mainly lived in the mountains whereas this bull was living in boggy River bottom. Though that's were most moose live so I wouldn't think that should make a difference.

Back