Caribou Gear

2019 Kodiak DIY deer and goats

Marshian

My brother moved to Homer two years ago and I’ve had an ache to hunt Alaska with him ever since. After hours of research and pondering, we settled on a boat based Kodiak Island hunt with Ninilchik charters out of Larsen Bayas our transporter. The hunt won’t be until late September-early October of next year but after officially paying the deposit today, I’m already so excited, it’s all I can think of. I’ve yet to draw a Montana goat tag, and for some reason, those animals and where they live seem so cool to me that I chose to take advantage of the first-of-kin rule allowing me to forego a guide. Any input is appreciated, and I can’t wait to post a write-up in a year from now!

I have no good advise but I got to say good luck and look forward to reading your write up. They are my dream animal to hunt.

In that time frame expect: to climb high every day - most bucks will still be in the alpine; high grass - high enough to cover a deer's back (at lower elevations); bears - most will still be along streams looking for silvers, but the runs will be winding down and bears will be roaming looking for food.
Check with the outfitter for duck hunting opportunities (season opens October 1).
If possible look into going around the third week of October instead. High grass will be down (for the most part) and bucks will be in pre-rut mode roaming low and high. Duck hunting will be better, goat hair will be much heavier.

In that time frame expect: to climb high every day - most bucks will still be in the alpine; high grass - high enough to cover a deer's back (at lower elevations); bears - most will still be along streams looking for silvers, but the runs will be winding down and bears will be roaming looking for food.
Check with the outfitter for duck hunting opportunities (season opens October 1).
If possible look into going around the third week of October instead. High grass will be down (for the most part) and bucks will be in pre-rut mode roaming low and high. Duck hunting will be better, goat hair will be much heavier.

Thanks for the info. Our dates are locked but we can duck hunt which I’m keen to do. Goats are by far the main goal, and hair isn’t super important to me. I’m debating staying a few extra days and being flown into ge interior to hunt caribou too. I realize they are feral reindeer but that’s fine by me too

Weather can be a huge factor in success. The one time I hunted it, we filled two goat tags the first morning, and then a storm blew in and we were stuck in camp for the majority of the time after that. Doubtful that we would have filled two tags had we not got it done the first day. And i too was going to suggest taking a shotgun. That is just about the only thing different that I might do. I was surprised how many ducks there were in the little bays.

Depending on where you plan to go caribou hunting in the interior, several seasons close from Sept 20-Oct.20 due to the rut. Check the regs for where you want to go.

keep in mind if your using a boat to get to Kodiak especially from ninilchik will be weather dependent. and you may not even get a chance to get to Kodiak. but since your brother lives here. I(I grew up an live in Kachemak bay) put in for south side of Kachemak bay goat tags, DG358-363 just in case, also since you got the down payment for going to Kodiak might as well put in for the brown bear tag for that area your headed to might even be worth putting in for afognak and raspberry island elk tags too.... if you put in for DG361 halibut cove and get it i'll go with you, I know the area.

Assuming this winter isn't to bad I have seen some monsters black tail coming out of Kodiak this year so next year should be great! There shouldn't be snow that early so Goat hunting should be a fun spot and stalk!

I've got a couple of guys I used to work with that just tagged out on goats and deer at Kodiak last week. One got a really nice black tail buck. I'm debating whether to go next year or in 2020 and hunt the road system for deer. A lot is going to depend on what job I get back home in AK after my contract gig in Afghanistan is up. The news we got today, I might be home a lot sooner than expected.

Thanks for all the advice, making me more and more excited! For those in the know, how helpful would a spotting scope need? After hearing about the brutality of the hikes, I wouldn’t carry it while hunting, but would it be if use from either the boat or on shore?

Thanks for all the advice, making me more and more excited! For those in the know, how helpful would a spotting scope need? After hearing about the brutality of the hikes, I wouldn’t carry it while hunting, but would it be if use from either the boat or on shore?

A spotter could save you some climbing. Probably necessary for the goat hunting.

Be sure to pack a couple white t shirts...they work amazingly well for open stalking> Ive never hunted lower 48 goats , but its a greak AK trick.

You might think about putting in for a goat tag. You can legally hunt as a non-resident with your brother and there are goats on the island

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back