1st bow in 20 years

plumber1969

Alright guys, I've bought a used Mathews DXT 28"/70# for an upcoming elk hunt next year. It has been 20 years since I've hunted with the stick and string, last bow was a Jennings Buckmaster with a PWC. I could not see spending that kind of money for a new bow that I may never use again, so I got the used one for 400 and added a new sight, strings, cables and whisker biscuit. Out the door $600. I have since been reading about broadheads, arrows and weight. Here is my setup so far, carbon express maxima hunters 29" with a 100 grain montec G5. I am concerned about penetration and was wondering if this is enough weight. I did the math and come up in the low 400 grain range but keep reading that 500 is better. Is there any truth to this? Do I need to shoot a 125 grain broadhead. My groups at 20 and 30 yards are good but not great. I've tried 40 and 50 yards to make 30 easier and I give it to anyone who can shoot tight groups that far. My best group at 40 yards was probably the size of a apple pie. I am open to any suggestions as I have a year to prepare. Kirk

Alright guys, I've bought a used Mathews DXT 28"/70# for an upcoming elk hunt next year. It has been 20 years since I've hunted with the stick and string, last bow was a Jennings Buckmaster with a PWC. I could not see spending that kind of money for a new bow that I may never use again, so I got the used one for 400 and added a new sight, strings, cables and whisker biscuit. Out the door $600. I have since been reading about broadheads, arrows and weight. Here is my setup so far, carbon express maxima hunters 29" with a 100 grain montec G5. I am concerned about penetration and was wondering if this is enough weight. I did the math and come up in the low 400 grain range but keep reading that 500 is better. Is there any truth to this? Do I need to shoot a 125 grain broadhead. My groups at 20 and 30 yards are good but not great. I've tried 40 and 50 yards to make 30 easier and I give it to anyone who can shoot tight groups that far. My best group at 40 yards was probably the size of a apple pie. I am open to any suggestions as I have a year to prepare. Kirk

Don't step back so fast, slow it up and focus on form and your release. You should check out Bernie Pellerite Idiot Proof Archery. He'll teach you all the basics and the mechanics of shooting. I was not taught this when I first started shooting and I wish I would have learned it correctly the first time and I wouldn't have had to spend 2 months shooting at 3yds in my bedroom just to reverse everything that I was doing incorrectly. Essentially I started shooting so well I wanted to shoot better and score better and I gave myself target panic, it sucks, I couldn't hit a pie plate from 5yds cuz I'd panic and slap the trigger. I reprogrammed my brain with a back tension release and shooting inside at 3yds. It really helps, I am not a fan of reading but read that book and you will absolutely benefit from it.

100 grain broadhead will work fine. One inch cut is plenty for elk. Just keep practicing and dont over think it. Archery hunting is as simple as you make it. Good luck on your hunt.

Oh and your arrow weight is good in my opinion. I shoot a 425 grain arrow and ke is 71 ft/lbs. Great plenty for anything in north america except grizz

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back