150 grain BT 7mm08

Rooster52

Just got done loading some 150 grain Ballistic Tips that I had on the shelf for a long time.Loaded with 41 grains of VARGET. Will test them out tomorrow and see how they fly.

I had really good luck with that combo at the range in a Tikka. Was not impressed with the performance on antelope unfortunately. I clipped a leg bone on a yearling doe and the result was a 3" entrance wound and barely any penetration into the chest cavity - a piece of bone I found in the heart is probably what killed her more than anything. The largest piece of the bullet I recovered was 14 grains of the jacket base that was under the skin near the entrance wound. The second doe was through the ribs and there was an exit, but the surrounding tissue was littered with visible lead and copper fragments, not to mention a ton of severely bloodshot meat surrounding the entrance. Considering a muzzle velocity of less than 2,700 fps I was surprised and disappointed. These were the new "Hunting" Ballistic Tips that people often say are less frangible but that wasn't my experience. I've pretty much settled on 140gr Accubonds for now but I did buy 500 of the 120 grain Hunting Ballistic Tips for when my kiddo starts shooting. I hope they hold up the way people claim.

I probably will not be hunting with the Ballistic Tips. Just had some laying around and decided to burn them.

41 grains of VARGET does great but 43 grains of IMR4350 did just as good. My 7MM08 just is not fussy on what you feed it. An inch to inch and half 100 yard groups is pretty standard with any ammo I have used.

I used to load 139 interlocks in mine. It killed many of deer a bear and a 50" moose

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back