What makes a "good" hunter?

How do you define a "good" hunter?

• Someone who has killed lots of things?

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Someone who has a few trophies to their name?

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • An advocate?

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • A good shot?

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Elky Welky

Someone made what was meant to be a derogatory comment on HT the other day that started "Well if [they] were good hunters, then they wouldn't do [xyz]." Which has had me thinking about what it means to be a "good" hunter. When that person made that comment, were they talking about numbers of trophy animals killed? Tags filled? Time spent in the field? Time devoted to conservation and advocacy? Someone who is in super shape and can shoot the wings off a fly? Someone who only uses a trad bow? Someone who spends all their money traveling around to shoot things? Someone who only hunts ducks? Someone with a hunting show/podcast? Someone who mentors new hunters? Someone who chases new hunters away?

Must someone be a "good" hunter to care about the future of hunting and be an advocate?

Please add your own answers, I'm interested. I'll add comments into the poll as we go.

My vote: I think the best Hunter is a different question than best killer.

Hunter is someone who ethically can find and stalk animals by trying to understand and who what and where they will be. Most of all lucky because you can’t outsmart, outsmell, out hear or out sneak them.

I’m definitely interested in this one. Not sure how I would define it. I guess I figure a good hunter follows the regulations set forth, utilizes his reward to the fullest extent, has ethics and morals to his techniques, and just honestly enjoys nature and what it has to offer. Ultimately, no such thing as a good hunter in my eyes, just a good person, and a lucky hunter.

I would define " good hunter " as someone who can be counted on to kill the game they are after while staying within the laws and using good ethics and regardless of not having perfect conditions or scenarios to do so. By my own definition I am not there yet. I hunt within the rules and try to use good ethics and I have enough success to keep me from giving up but in my eyes I'm still an average hunter.

Agree with all of the above and would add that a good hunter doesn’t unnecessarily spook game and thus ruin it for themselves or others. I would also add that a good hunter gives something back in the way of conservation or mentoring those not as skilled. My definition doesn’t include a wall full of B&C animals, but must have some history of shooting mature animals.

One more thought. I don’t think a good hunter is a braggart either in person…..or on social media!

You can be a good hunter and bad advocate. I would say that kill count and score impess the general hunting community a lot more than advocacy.

Part of the problem 🤷‍♂️

That's a good question.

There aren't many really good hunters that are also really good advocates, and vice versa.

Most of the best advocates I've known are pretty mediocre hunters. Most of the best hunters I know are pretty mediocre advocates. Seems a bit unfair to try to define a good hunter by advocacy or try to define a good advocate by how good of a hunter they are.

IMO, the hunters that pay attention to details make pretty good hunters. They control the things they can, like being able to glass, having the best equipment they can afford, maybe handloading to increase accuracy, spend time on the range, etc. Another thing they do is they try to not make success about luck. Every time I shoot an animal, catch a fish, I try to figure out why they were there. Of all the places an animal can be at any given time, why were they there? Food? Water? Pressure? Security? Slope? Aspect? Time of year? blah, blah, blah. What is it? I can guarantee one thing, they weren't there by accident.

The thing I learned pretty quick is animals don't do much of anything by chance. They live out there every day, their whole lives. Their survival depends on the choices they make and how they use the land. They screw up bad, they pay the man and it's all over for them. You have to store that "why", write it down, and think about it, apply it smartly in the future.

Patience is another and being mentally tough. The guys that wake up after 10-15-25 days in a row just as excited on day 25 as day 1, they end up getting it done. Hunting hard and staying focused for an honest 7 days, it isn't as easy as it sounds. Staying focused for 10, 15, 20 days straight, not many people I've hunted with can pull that off. It beats you down, more mentally than physically.

The other thing about good hunters, they typically have a solid network of other good hunters they can lean on, share info with, etc. It's not just everybody that good hunters share information with, and every good hunter I've been around can sniff out a bullshit artist in about 10 seconds.

Patience, persistence, connections, and continuing to learn every time you're in the field goes a long way to being a good hunter.

Being a good advocate? Pretty similar only you're dealing with people who aren't always real rational and not too interested in the same things you are. Much tougher to be a good advocate, IMO and admire those that are good at it. Not easy at all.

In my mind that's a hard question to answer with words alone. I would say my Dad was a good if not a great hunter. Growing up I was always amazed by his keen senses and knowledge when we were in the field together. He was a good shot but also knew his limitations in that regard. He seemed to always know where to find mature animals but that said he instilled in me that the size of the animal was not the ultimate factor as to wether the hunt was a success. He had a profound respect for the animals he hunted and taught me at a young age that no trophy was worth bending your morals and ethics. He always had the time to pass along his knowledge to anyone who asked. I feel extremely blessed to have had him as a teacher.

Anyone who has hunted with someone like that would realize why I say it's hard to put into words. Seeing and learning from someone like that you just know that they are a step above.

Unfortunately for many nowadays a " good " hunter is the one posting pics of big bucks or bulls on YouTube and social media going on about how hard they hunt and how they are so successful.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching the occasion hunting video and seeing pics of people's success but if I'm honest I feel that for 90% of those on there it's more about the bragging rights and how many likes they get than it is about the animal and the journey/experience.

Alright I think I've rambled on enough

I would say that someone is good if they can defeat the monsters in solo, and that they can use the potential of their weapons even if not at the perfection yet.

Your quality as a hunter is determined by your YouTube subscriber count. Mine is zero, so I'm the bottom of the barrel of all hunters.

Back