Caribou Gear

Rzr Motor Replacement

wolfpup

My friends nephew blew up the motor in a 2008 Polaris RZRr and he doesn't want to mess with it. I don't want to buy a new one, but would replace the motor with a crate style motor. Has anybody replaced a motor from any companies? I have heard rev 6 is horrible, but not a lot of options out there it doen't seem to me. The nephew started tearing apart the existing motor so rebuild the bad components is beyond my mechanical abilities.... so direct replacement it is. Anybody with first hand experience with this? Any recommendations on purchasing new motor?

There are too many video resources and printed literature available today to say that rebuilding a Polaris engine is harder than R&R. You say it is beyond you mechanical capabilities? I say you haven't given yourself time to learn the skills. If the kid has ripped stuff apart and has no recollection of how it goes back together, than you have a challenge on you hands.

Even with skills it’s tough with Polaris. Crank requires a special press to replace the rods.

So I've been a mechanic on Polaris products for 28 years. I will say that the original razor, especially the 2008, had a lot of problems. Anytime there is a first model year of anything, I avoid them. Just like the 2009 Sportsman 850, the next year there were a ton of upgrades. The engine in the RZR is it ticking time bomb. Never buy a Polaris 6, 7, or 800 domestic twin engine in a side by side or atv. They are what they call a 180 crank, where the pistons go up and down at the same time. They are pretty archaic in the way they do the EFI system in that the injectors fire every revolution. Meaning that the injectors fire a 50% shot every time the piston is on it's intake, or compression stroke. Effectively it works, but it is pretty crude. If you move to the 570 or 900 and 1,000 engines, and newer, they are much better. You would probably be better off selling it as a mechanics special and letting the guy that wants to tinker with something fix it. There are several remanufacturer companies out there that will sell you a rebuilt engine with a warranty, just do your research. The biggest thing with those engines is that the bottom connecting rod bearing on the crank on the PTO side is the last thing that gets oiled. There is about an inch and a half of area before the crank is plugged creating a dead end that allows the oil to squirt out the edges of the connecting rod. Once that gets filled up with crap and sludge from the system, it plugs the oiling hole for the lower PTO connecting rod, then it is game over. And usually once that goes, it takes everything with it resulting in an entire engine. And yes, they are a bit tricky to rebuild if you do not have in my opinion above average skills. Get a razor 900 and don't look back.

Back