Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT Mountain Goat outer layer suggestions wanted

HuntMT16

I drew a Mountain Goat tag for southern Montana. Overall I have good quality equipment (Boots, pack, optics, etc). While I have quality base layers (under armor 3.0 and 4.0) I have always skimped on my outer layers. The outer layers I have are typical Wal-mart quality which has always worked fine for day hunts from the house or camp, and even some 4-5 day back country elk hunts, but this hunt is different. While I am still in the very initial planning stages, I am looking at packing into camp about 17 miles while camping around 8,000' and expecting to be hunting around the 10,000' area.

I am looking for some suggestions on good outer layers for this hunt. I want something that is wind and water resistant at least, and obviously something that is warm. I plan to buy a couple pairs of pants, a couple shirts and a jacket. Camo pattern is not super important to me, as long as it is camouflage enough to break up the pattern and outline of me. I don't have it in my budget for Sitka gear, but I do want something that is quality. It doesn't have to be totally water proof, I have rain gear I can put on if it's raining hard, I just want something that is going to keep me dry in a light rain or snow and something that will keep me warm when worn with my base layers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Back