School Me on Hunting In Grizz Country

I primarily hunt alone, and some in very high grizzly country. I usually take my hound Wylie with me and he just hunts around while I'm walking, and I keep him close when near elk.
I would really have a quick plan on getting all your meat 200 yards or so away from the kill site, even if you shoot one at dark. It's best to get it out of there a couple hundred yards. Or even gut and cut the carcass in half and drag it away from the gut pile. You can gut an elk in about 10 minutes and have the back quarters off in another 10-15 minutes. Front shoulders take longer, if you saw up through the spine, but it's simpler to just skin out the front shoulders and take out the upper backstrap, and neck meat.
I would put your quarters in an area that you can see and walk in downwind. Last year we left two gut piles/carcass in a infested area for grizzlies for two days and kept on glassing the gut piles and nothing but birds came in during the times we glassed it.
This year if I shoot something in there again, I'm leading in two horses after I get it quartered and it out in one load. Quicker the better, they can have whatever is left.
Carrying two really sharp knifes, sharpener, small saw, and a hatchet makes for quick processing.

I have a question for guys that use bear spray, how does it do in windy conditions? I'm going to buy a couple containers and practice with one of them. I just don't want to engulf myself with bear spray

Having about 30 other people with you seems to work well as a deterrent.

The only grizzly encounters I’ve had were on JBER. Had one wonder into the next platoon’s patrol base at night, and another time had 2 younger males false charge us at the ammo point.

Having a group of a few dozen people shouting at them changed their minds on both occasions.

Don’t forget that you’re hundreds of times more likely to die in the truck on the drive up. Not trying to take away from dangers of bears, just don’t get too focused on 1 danger.

I drew a Wy general west tag and will be hunting in Grizz country. I grew up in Colorado and contrary to some social media personalities beliefs I’ve never hunted or camped in Grizz country. I am coming at this completely green. I will take any and all pointers and recommendations people have.

Attachments

• 12CED8B3-B621-40ED-B247-E157C29C6601.jpeg
    12CED8B3-B621-40ED-B247-E157C29C6601.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 29
Bear fence gives some people peace of mind. Last year in alaska my fence was only lasting 1.5 nights on a pack of AA batteries. One night late in the trip I forgot to change the batteries and told my friends I was too tired to get out of my bag to change them as I fell sleep.

Woke up around 2am to my friend having a dream a griz was right outside our tent, practically shouting at the rest of us... haha

Nearest grizzly seen in 10 days was a couple miles out.

Carry a 10mm, file off the front sight, won't hurt as much when he shoved it up your balloon knot. Was charged 50 years ago in the Yukon. 7 shots, killed him. Mean, nasty dudes.
7A487908-C1BC-49D5-A227-81C5970BA36D.jpeg1837546F-A9DB-41AD-BF7F-40013ACFD691.jpeg
So when it comes to balloon knot penetration I think I’d lean towards the 9mm but depending on aggression and force applied the 357 might actually have a better long term outcome. If removal from said balloon knot is desired the 357 appears to have a better outcome if we are talking 2”+

I believe it was Gohunt put out a couple pretty good videos a few years back simulating shooting at a charging bear and a couple other things in that nature. If you do pack both know what you’re pulling first. Most people can only get 1-2 shots off with any sort of accuracy.

I think hanging meat properly is the biggest challenge, having your hanging setup all ready to go and knowing how to use it helps save time when you inevitably kill one in the afternoon. Been using small carabiners and paracord to make back country block and tackle, works pretty good, but the hard part is finding the right spot to hang from.

This is a long video, but one that I've watched multiple times. This guy got jumped by a grizzly at 15 yards. He talks about wheel guns vs Semi-automatic. Amazing video to watch.

This is a long video, but one that I've watched multiple times. This guy got jumped by a grizzly at 15 yards. He talks about wheel guns vs Semi-automatic. Amazing video to watch.

This is the video I had mentioned in another thread! Good story! If he only had 6 shots he’d be a dead man…

Justified!

I have a question for guys that use bear spray, how does it do in windy conditions? I'm going to buy a couple containers and practice with one of them. I just don't want to engulf myself with bear spray
I’m never terribly confident with the stuff in wind. But I’ve never discharged any on a windy day. As my luck has it, I usually see the most bear sign when there’s a stiff breeze.

They do make inert cans to practice with. Wasn’t windy when I’ve used them though. Get some and report back!

Bear fence gives some people peace of mind. Last year in alaska my fence was only lasting 1.5 nights on a pack of AA batteries. One night late in the trip I forgot to change the batteries and told my friends I was too tired to get out of my bag to change them as I fell sleep.

Woke up around 2am to my friend having a dream a griz was right outside our tent, practically shouting at the rest of us... haha

Nearest grizzly seen in 10 days was a couple miles out.
What’s the added weight and volume for a bear fence? Just curious

Of what you have I’d carry (and have carried) the .357 with hard cast bullets second to bear spray. One thing to consider ammo wise are Lehigh defens extreme penetrator bullets. They’re lighter, penetrate almost as much as hard cast, and create some soft tissue damage.

But using different tactics/precautions to prevent an encounter are best. I think people have spoken to how to mitigate some risk based on having a buddy while breaking down an animal, keeping as much visibility as possible while moving, etc.

Back