8/32 tread left. Good for a 6,000 mile road trip?

popeyoung12

Next month taking my rebel 1/2 deisal on a 6,000 road trip fishing into Canada. is 8/32 tread left enough to get me home?

Certainly. Drove on 2/32nds a few hundred miles in college to see a nice lady.

Thats like 1/2 tread for a lot of tires.

There was a period when I’d cling to things until they were utterly unusable, mainly because finances were tight. Years ago I had a jobsite in Billings, for a good 5 months, I’d commute from Helena with my tires worn down to the steel, miraculously they held up with the back and forth travel. I’d advise against pushing your luck that far, but you should be good for your trip. Always be prepared to spend a few hours if you know your tires are getting to the limit for a possible new set..

Are you asking because you are unable to buy a tire at any of the local tire shops along the 6000 mile loop? My guess is there will be roughly a bazillion options if you run into issues along the way.

Next month taking my rebel 1/2 deisal on a 6,000 road trip fishing into Canada. is 8/32 tread left enough to get me home?
Are you going to be on anything other than paved roads? If not, I'd change them out. I'm driving up to N. Alberta this September, and will be driving about 60 miles each way on unpaved forestry roads. My Continental TerrainContact HT tires were just about down to the "Wet" indicator was worn (Continental used the DWS - D: Dry, W: Wet; S: Snow. When the D is worn down it's time to change the tires) so I didn't want to take any chances and swapped out all six on my F350 DRW. AAA isn't coming to get me if I'm in the bush with a problem.

Are you asking because you are unable to buy a tire at any of the local tire shops along the 6000 mile loop? My guess is there will be roughly a bazillion options if you run into issues along the way.
I have a great tire shop here, no charge for balance, rotation and the best prices anywhere.

I have a great tire shop here, no charge for balance, rotation and the best prices anywhere.
That’s arguable, have you been to all of anywhere and compared?

Loyalty to a local company is great, but it’s a road trip. Stuff happens on a road trip, that is why there are thousands and thousands of tire shops. Go on your trip, that’s plenty of tread. If it happens that you feel you need tires for whatever reason buy them. The local shop won’t fault you.

Or just use one of the national shops where balancing and rotations are free as well.

PS there may be states along your route with less sales tax!

Only if all 'Merican air is purged and tires are metrically inflated w certified Canadian air. Spare included. Or helium, which floats tires slightly above the road surface, eliminating tire wear entirely. Beware of overinflation.
1716101492603.png

Back