The adult female

1oldcoyote

Having watched many pairs & family groups of coyotes on the open foothills. Almost always, it is the adult female who is most wary. Whether she is with her mate or in a family group. She is the last coyote to lay her head down when they bed down & nap for the day. I can't say for a fact why that is. Other than perhaps. It is because she is more alert & wary of her surroundings. Than her mate is. When she travels with her mate. More often than not. She is the lead coyote that determines where they go while on the move. The male may take over the lead temporarily. But she will soon take over the lead once again.

Having watched many pairs & family groups of coyotes on the open foothills. Almost always, it is the adult female who is most wary. Whether she is with her mate or in a family group. She is the last coyote to lay her head down when they bed down & nap for the day. I can't say for a fact why that is. Other than perhaps. It is because she is more alert & wary of her surroundings. Than her mate is. When she travels with her mate. More often than not. She is the lead coyote that determines where they go while on the move. The male may take over the lead temporarily. But she will soon take over the lead once again.
I see there’s also a thread concerning this, but was it 4:20 somewhere when this was posted?

A favorite line of a gregarious farmer I knew, would say that post nuclear holocaust and barren landscape there will still be one binch coyote roaming the prairie.

A favorite line of a gregarious farmer I knew, would say that post nuclear holocaust and barren landscape there will still be one binch coyote roaming the prairie.
Watched a show on them one time. Wish I could remember the name of it. But them suckers are amazing. Man has basically been trying to eradicate them since the beginning of time and they just keep being prolific.

I read on a mens gas station bathroom wall in my youth. "The last living creatures on Earth, will be cockroaches & coyotes". I have no idea where that phrase came from. But I believe the author knew what he was talking about.

I don't recall now where I read it. But one coyote hunter some years back. Actually believed & claimed. When a territorial pair make a large kill such as a deer. They will summon neighboring (non-related) coyotes to come to the feast. That was one of the most ignorant claims I've ever read. A mated pair are territorial & do not tolerate trespassing coyotes. However, from what I have observed. They will/may tolerate to a degree. Of non-related coyotes trespassing on territorial border overlap areas. The territorial over lap areas. From what I have observed. Are roughly 1/4 mile wide +/-. I determined that by. Observing 3 territorial pairs, whose boundaries over lapped. I believe that area varies in different geographical regions & of course regional coyote populations. Mated coyotes such as the 3 pairs I note above. Their territories were roughly 6x8 square mile land mass.

Back