Taxidermist Nightmare - need serious advice

Shot a bear in fall of 2019 and dropped it off to a local taxidermist that was well recommended at the time. Many people on this site know who he is, but I’m not going to disclose that information publicly.

For the first two years he said he was way behind, but the hide was fine. For the last eight months or so, that tune has changed. The situation now is bizarre. He regularly responds to my calls and texts, but his communication is erratic and often non-sensical. Unfortunately, I have some reason to believe from his texts that he is in some kind of an in-patient medical situation.

He still has my bear hide, and yes I know where he lives. I’ve tried going there and when I have, no one is there. I have sympathy for whatever it is he has been going through. I just want my bear hide back.

Question for everyone. Other than than continuing to talk with him and go to his shop, what else can I do? Can the sheriff department help me? A lawyer?

Thanks all.
Can you elaborate on well recommended? I have a hard time understanding how a guy could go from producing recommendable work to trashing hides under the porch.

Such a shame. Did you at least get your skull?

Not nearly as bad as you but my dad took our two bears to a taxidermist in Ohio, the following spring I shot a bearded hen and my dad also took it to him to get a full body wall mount. Took over 3 years to get the bears back (full body mounts). Work was decent but he lost both skulls and never got the turkey back.

Justin Sabol. Never met him, but have heard about plenty funny taxidermy masterpieces..

Why’s everybody so hesitant to list his name?
Yep, believe you had even recommended we go to Andres prior to my dad's goat hunt. My grandparents lived up Bridger Canyon and therefore knew of the Sabol family forever from living up there... wrong choice, lesson learned! Hate to ever speculate but if I had to wager a guess I'd say Justin has taken advantage of the family ranch, etc for his taxi hobby and has run it down hill in a hurry with all the troubles and stories surfacing.

Justin Sabol. Never met him, but have heard about plenty funny taxidermy masterpieces..

Why’s everybody so hesitant to list his name?
I am posting his name in a post reply now. Generally, I have felt that putting people's names on the internet should be avoided for legal and safety reasons, both for the person being named, and the person naming him. I've been through it enough with Justin - including with attorneys and LE - that I don't mind doing it now.

Last edited:
It's Justin Sabol in Bridger Canyon, as several have posted now. There is a lot of drama, lying, and even some legitimately serious personal issues going on with that whole family that I was made aware of over the last four years. Some of that led to my hesitation to name him. I'm not going to elaborate on those specifics.

Someone asked what entails a 'good recommendation'. In this case, he was actually recommended directly by two guys I knew/know in Bozeman (I live in Missoula now), both who are trusted and accomplished hunters. They both work for MeatEater. A year or so later, the same MeatEater guys publicly apologized on their podcast for ever recommending anyone take their game to Sabol.

Since then, even after getting a trusted first-hand word of mouth recommendation, I am nervous dropping off any serious taxidermy work. I have a good friend who does skulls, so that's easy. I currently have a bear hide with a guy out of state only because he has done so much reputable work for a buddy of mine. Ay yi yi.

Can you elaborate on well recommended? I have a hard time understanding how a guy could go from producing recommendable work to trashing hides under the porch.

Such a shame. Did you at least get your skull?

Not nearly as bad as you but my dad took our two bears to a taxidermist in Ohio, the following spring I shot a bearded hen and my dad also took it to him to get a full body wall mount. Took over 3 years to get the bears back (full body mounts). Work was decent but he lost both skulls and never got the turkey back.
Yeah I knew the MeatEater guys while living in Bozeman and they told me he was doing good work for them. A year or so after I took my hide to Justin, Rinella apologized on their podcast to everyone they had recommended Sabol to. I had just moved to Bozeman from the Missoula area, so I didn't know anyone down there. I've since moved back to Missoula.

I did get my skull back shortly after dropping it off, so at least I have that.

After reading all of these heartbreaking stories, I’m wondering why taxidermists are not required to be bonded and insured as a prerequisite for licensure?

Last edited:
My good friend dealt with these losers. Sean originally then Justin. Her bull was given to a guy in Billings, which she found out because the guy knew it wasn’t his bull. She finally got that but it was cracked. Her buck skull was completely in half and he still has her Cat (it’s been three years now) claims he has it done but happens to always be “out of town”. Hope these guys gets what’s coming.

My good friend dealt with these losers. Sean originally then Justin. Her bull was given to a guy in Billings, which she found out because the guy knew it wasn’t his bull. She finally got that but it was cracked. Her buck skull was completely in half and he still has her Cat (it’s been three years now) claims he has it done but happens to always be “out of town”. Hope these guys gets what’s coming.
Sorry to hear it. I can't remember how much I've updated here, but Justin Sabol finally confessed last year that my bear hide is long gone. He had a BS story, who knows how or why it disappeared. I have four years of texts and voicemails from him lying to me about the hide, and I showed up to his property unannounced multiple times, and he was never there. Contacted family members, knocked on doors, all of it. I was a signature away from suing, but the lawyers finally persuaded me not to. Too much headache and money for what would likely be an unsatisfying result.

He is utterly dishonest, unprofessional, and unreliable. I would bet money your friend's cat is long gone as well.

People can leave a bad review on google and shouldnt be concerned leaving a bad review on a forum. We need to know bad actors and good actors. Someone may complain but no one is going to sue over a truthful negative review.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Let my friend take a freak antelope to his taxidermist because it was easier than getting it to mine after a hunt. The guy was fine for a year then went crazy. My friend spent a couple years chasing the guy around because he had a NM ibex, some antelope, and a muley. After getting a cop and a lawyer involved he finally was able to go get horns but all capes were ruined.

My dad tried to save money and get animals on his Africa hunt mounted there. They mounted the wrong ones and he paid extra shipping for the bigger crate. Im happy to go through the process to use my tried and true taxidermist even if they cost a little more. Heck all taxidermy is expensive these days so its hard to go elsewhere. Also a good reminder to keep good records and receipts as proof.

People can leave a bad review on google and shouldnt be concerned leaving a bad review on a forum. We need to know bad actors and good actors. Someone may complain but no one is going to sue over a truthful negative review.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Let my friend take a freak antelope to his taxidermist because it was easier than getting it to mine after a hunt. The guy was fine for a year then went crazy. My friend spent a couple years chasing the guy around because he had a NM ibex, some antelope, and a muley. After getting a cop and a lawyer involved he finally was able to go get horns but all capes were ruined.

My dad tried to save money and get animals on his Africa hunt mounted there. They mounted the wrong ones and he paid extra shipping for the bigger crate. Im happy to go through the process to use my tried and true taxidermist even if they cost a little more. Heck all taxidermy is expensive these days so its hard to go elsewhere. Also a good reminder to keep good records and receipts as proof.
I agree and have no issue telling all now. I was hesitant at first just out of internet privacy concerns, and then while I was talking to lawyers I wanted to keep things private.

Also, I was told by FWP Justin has been under investigation by FWP (may still be, idk).

I know this thread is old, but I have a similar issue in Colorado. I took an antelope to the taxi paid for it and then killed a really good Muledeer with my bow and dropped it off. When I got my antelope back this is what in the picture. It is pretty clear that someone either used scissors to trim the hide or someone during fleshing cut it. I have the pictures of when I shot it and this was the entrance side just behind the shoulder. Taxi told me I did it when I capped it out... It was hanging by the rear legs and capped it down over his head and then removing the head. Left the cape open so it would cool off and was placed in a cooler.

Now my deer was capped out and the head was capped out by a long standing outfitter who I am great friends with. When I cape all my animals, I never cut the hide on the front legs. I just sleeve them, so that the taxi can cut them how they like. I also cut starting at the last rib so they have plenty of hide to work with. I dropped it off and it was frozen. I get a call 2 weeks later stating the hide was rotten when they got it and that they had to throw it away. Just a week ago I confronted him and he hands me a deer cape and said his employee lied and that he did have it but there were holes all in it and accused me of not know how to cape any game. He does not know I guide and have been sending elk to him for years.

I have been a big game guide for 6 years and have sent 17 elk to this taxi with 0 complaints from him and the clients were happy with their mounts. So to say I have capped a few animals in my life is an understatement, because I guide in CO, NM and AZ starting in August and do not stop until Feb 1.

So my question is what do you all recommend as for the action to take on this situation. I got my hide for A deer as I do not believe it is mine based on the length of the hide and the legs have been cut.
My antelope is a messed up mount.

I tried talking to him and he refuses to fix or give me my money back. He gave me strict orders not to come on his property and he will not discuss it.

Take him to civil court for a new antelope hide and my money back for the mount. Money for a new deer hide that looks like someone new to defleshing got a hold of it. Did or does the CO have any way to help me with this?

Attachments

• 20230623_225238.jpg
    20230623_225238.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20240624_181513.jpg
    20240624_181513.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 88
  • 20240624_095333.jpg
    20240624_095333.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
  • 20240624_181400.jpg
    20240624_181400.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 20240624_095330.jpg
    20240624_095330.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 20240624_095327.jpg
    20240624_095327.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 20240624_095315.jpg
    20240624_095315.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • imagejpeg_4 (1).jpg
    imagejpeg_4 (1).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 79
  • imagejpeg_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_3.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 90
I know this thread is old, but I have a similar issue in Colorado. I took an antelope to the taxi paid for it and then killed a really good Muledeer with my bow and dropped it off. When I got my antelope back this is what in the picture. It is pretty clear that someone either used scissors to trim the hide or someone during fleshing cut it. I have the pictures of when I shot it and this was the entrance side just behind the shoulder. Taxi told me I did it when I capped it out... It was hanging by the rear legs and capped it down over his head and then removing the head. Left the cape open so it would cool off and was placed in a cooler.

Now my deer was capped out and the head was capped out by a long standing outfitter who I am great friends with. When I cape all my animals, I never cut the hide on the front legs. I just sleeve them, so that the taxi can cut them how they like. I also cut starting at the last rib so they have plenty of hide to work with. I dropped it off and it was frozen. I get a call 2 weeks later stating the hide was rotten when they got it and that they had to throw it away. Just a week ago I confronted him and he hands me a deer cape and said his employee lied and that he did have it but there were holes all in it and accused me of not know how to cape any game. He does not know I guide and have been sending elk to him for years.

I have been a big game guide for 6 years and have sent 17 elk to this taxi with 0 complaints from him and the clients were happy with their mounts. So to say I have capped a few animals in my life is an understatement, because I guide in CO, NM and AZ starting in August and do not stop until Feb 1.

So my question is what do you all recommend as for the action to take on this situation. I got my hide for A deer as I do not believe it is mine based on the length of the hide and the legs have been cut.
My antelope is a messed up mount.

I tried talking to him and he refuses to fix or give me my money back. He gave me strict orders not to come on his property and he will not discuss it.

Take him to civil court for a new antelope hide and my money back for the mount. Money for a new deer hide that looks like someone new to defleshing got a hold of it. Did or does the CO have any way to help me with this?
it’s a damn deer cape - get another one. chalk it up as lessons learned and never go back. share the guys name across the WWW as not to be trusted as a taxidermist.

it’s a damn deer cape - get another one. chalk it up as lessons learned and never go back. share the guys name across the WWW as not to be trusted as a taxidermist.
Its not just the cape. I was charged 436.00 deposit and a new cape is 400.00. Then there is a 800.00 antelope mount that was messed up when he was finished. Not to mention at a min. if you can find one an antelope cape is around 400.00. So this isn't just a hide and learn a lesson, it is a $2,036.00 group of mistakes and loss that I am currently living with. If it was just a hide, I would move on, but that is a lot of money to just chalk up to a lesson learned. I will put his name out very soon after I determine my action I am going to take. I was just seeing if anyone did do a civil suit and what was the outcome. What did the court make the taxi pay for and not pay for.

The Hedgehog, I do agree with you if it was just a cape. I wouldn't even think twice, but do you think I should walk away from this situation still? I am not being a smarta$$ I do respect your opinion, that is why I came here. Thank you

Its not just the cape. I was charged 436.00 deposit and a new cape is 400.00. Then there is a 800.00 antelope mount that was messed up when he was finished. Not to mention at a min. if you can find one an antelope cape is around 400.00. So this isn't just a hide and learn a lesson, it is a $2,036.00 group of mistakes and loss that I am currently living with. If it was just a hide, I would move on, but that is a lot of money to just chalk up to a lesson learned. I will put his name out very soon after I determine my action I am going to take. I was just seeing if anyone did do a civil suit and what was the outcome. What did the court make the taxi pay for and not pay for.

The Hedgehog, I do agree with you if it was just a cape. I wouldn't even think twice, but do you think I should walk away from this situation still? I am not being a smarta$$ I do respect your opinion, that is why I came here. Thank you
You're going to have a hard time in civil court unless you have photos of the hides as they were provided to the taxidermist. You might try CPW to see if they can do anything about it but you might be out $2k.

I agree and have no issue telling all now. I was hesitant at first just out of internet privacy concerns, and then while I was talking to lawyers I wanted to keep things private.

Also, I was told by FWP Justin has been under investigation by FWP (may still be, idk).
Ahhh...Justin Sabol. That lying little lowlife scumbag crook should be in prison. I just joined this forum in order to be able to comment after reading this thread.
Forgive me boys for breaking man-code but this little pr*ck deserves nothing less.
A number of years ago I invited a friend to join me and my good friends (including a very well-known hunter/ businessmen from Bozeman who shall remain nameless) on our annual hunt in No. Montana.
My guest took a very nice Mulie (his first) and was referred to Justin to have it mounted. When we met him he said, quietly, that he would offer a $50 discount if it was pd in full up front because he needed some hooker/strip club rathole money that his wife didn't know about.
My bud pd in full...cash.
6 months later he called Justin for an update and was told his mount would be started shortly. 6 months later, same story.
6 months later he called and told Justin to just send the hide and horns and he'd get it done elsewhere.
Never heard from him again.
25 or 30 calls were unanswered.
Justin...and my amigo's Mulie disappeared...never to be seen again.
Justin Sabol...gold medal POS.

You can fix your issue yourself now or first go down a path where tilt at windmills staying angry a couple of more years before get the proper mounts on your wall.

Sometimes, the squeeze is not worth the juice. Expecting a happy outcome when dealing with this type of person is generally not going to happen but you will flush money and time. Then, back to spending the money to get the mounts completed.

Life is not fair. Be glad he is not married to your sister or your neighbor. Things could be much worse than what money can remedy.

I had a taxidermist swap my cape for another. I couldn’t “prove” it according to the wardens. I never got my mount back

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back