Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Plugging Ruger 96

Gunner46

Ohio has finally modified hunting regulations to allow some straight walled cartridges, in rifles, for deer hunting. Yay for me, in that I already have a Ruger 96 .44mag.

Whoe is me, due to the fact that they are only allowing 3 rounds in magazine & chamber combined. The Ruger magazine holds 4.

I've seen You tube vids on disassembling the 10/ 22 magazines, but was wondering if the 96 magazine is of the same design. If so, I'll just fashion & insert a simple plug to cut the 96 magazine down to 2, and be on my way down to Salt Fork this fall, comforted in the knowledge that some overworked, dead tired of rookie BS game warden isn't going to bust my chops even if I do only have 3 rounds in an un-plugged 5 shot rifle.

Congrats!! They did this a few years ago in IN and it is great. Especially for kids. My sons rifle forhunting at home is a Handi Rifle in 44mag and it is great little gun. Great alternative to a 12ga slug gun. Good luck this year.

A dummy round or snapcap would not suffice if the gun can only hold two rounds in the magazine. It would have to be physically altered with a plug requiring disassembly of the rifle to take it out before it would hold that third round. It would be identical to the waterfowl requirement for a max of three shotgun shells that requires a physical plug while in the field hunting..

If it was me, I would call the game and fish and get the official answer before I risked my rifle, truck, hunting rights. You might be ok, but theoretically you could have a full cap mag tucked in your backpack, which might make the G&F not look kindly on a removable magazine rifle.

Guys, I understand all this and plan to plug the magazine. I am asking if the 10/22 and Mdl 96 magazines are of the same design.

Make sure and read the actual regulation and get guidance because from how the Ohio DNR site reads, only shotguns need to be plugged. There is no mention of any limiting device for the rifles only the amount of rounds allowed in the weapon. BTW, I see that you guys get a few cartridges that we in IN don't. Notable to me are 38 Special, 45 ACP, 444 Marlin and 45-70. Not sure that the 38 Special is a good call. Hmmm?

I agree, the 38 seems a bit iffy to me, but then again I plan on trying my AR on some of the small does down in NC.

Back