Caribou Gear

Arizona Unit 1

danr55

We got out this weekend and stomped around between Hannigan Meadow and Springterville. Wanted to see just how bad the damage was. What a waste of some beautiful old growth forest. Was a bit surprised at the volume of animals we saw however. Deer, Elk, Antelope and Turkey. Seems everyone was out making up for lost time. Coming through Nutrioso there was a heard of about 100 cows and calves grazing in a meadow just west of town. They paid no attention to anyone. spent some time talking with a Forest Circus type. After he got through making painfully aware of the fact that the forest was still closed and we convinced him that we hadn't driven into any of the closed area but just wandered around on foot a bit, he was very nice. We discussed some of the burns and just how bad they were. I'm convinced from talking to him that if I had a tag for elk in unit 1, I would keep it rardless of what anyone told me. I think this is going to be one of the best years ever for hunting up there. Most of the burn is Mosaic type burn in the west part of 1. Some of the peaks where the fire crowned are destroyed and won't be back for decades, but the lower parts were just flashed. From what we saw, the ground cover has already started to come back in just a few short days. We saw three bulls that looked especially good. I'll post some of the photos later in the week.

Dan thats great news.I hunted Elk there last year in the Archery season it is an incredible place glad to hear the tag holders this year won't have there season ruined.

Danr55,

I am pleased to hear the report. I have only been there once, but what a beautiful place!

I also know three guys from Bismarck here who drew AZ unit 1 tags for this Sept. They will be pleased to hear the info as well. Thanks and I will be looking for the pics.

Bob, Can you please post a web site where that map is available? I'd like to compare what I saw against what they are calling low severity burn.
Thank you.

These photos were taken driving between Eager and Hannigan Meadow through the Wallow fire area. You can see the contrast between the seriously burned areas and the slightly or not burned areas. Talking with one of the Forest Service rangers that were up there, he called it Mosaic Burn. The elk herds are at Nutrioso and Sunrise Lake. We got out and took a little hike over a hill on some private land and found the yearly cow elk just laying up on the other side. Then got back to the truck and found this young turkey poking around by the road to see what was up. All in all, it was an interesting trip that soon after the fire. It still smelled like burn, but alot of the flash burned areas were already greening up after only a few days of rain.

The structure toward the end is the Inn at Hannigan Meadow. Untouched and open for business... that's a good thing.

Attachments

• DSCN0087.jpg
    DSCN0087.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,568
  • DSCN0084.jpg
    DSCN0084.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,571
  • DSCN0079.jpg
    DSCN0079.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,566
  • DSCN0078.jpg
    DSCN0078.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • Alpine 2.jpg
    Alpine 2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,573
  • Alpine 1.jpg
    Alpine 1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,579
  • Sunrise group 2.jpg
    Sunrise group 2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Elk in Nutrioso.jpg
    Elk in Nutrioso.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • DSCN0101.jpg
    DSCN0101.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,654
  • DSCN0099.jpg
    DSCN0099.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,555
  • DSCN0098.jpg
    DSCN0098.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,559
  • DSCN0097.jpg
    DSCN0097.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,654
  • DSCN0096.jpg
    DSCN0096.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,556
  • DSCN0095.jpg
    DSCN0095.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,557
  • Tired and wet.jpg
    Tired and wet.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,553
  • Wet.jpg
    Wet.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,588
Great pictures...Fire is an amazing thing! Totally burn through one area and not another...Good to see a lil rain...

Last edited:
Back