MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Suppressor

Is there any backcountry hunting suppressor that's come out clearly better than others? I don't know whether to get a Banish Backcountry, a Scythe TI, or a Nosler K-can. They all seem pretty interchangeable to me just looking on the internet and having never shot suppressed before
I have both the Banish backcountry and Dead Air Nomad Ti. Great cans.

I saw a can at the local gun store yesterday that the threads started 1/2 way inside the can. 1/2 can was in front of barrel- 1/2 can extended back down the barrel towards the shooter.
I have wondered in the past why that hadn’t been done. It was in .25 cal so I didn’t spend much time checking it out.

Anyone know the name? Pros and cons?

Amtac maybe?

Last edited:
For backcountry hunting I’d look for the shortest suppressor out of those three. I only have experience with the banish backcountry. Less to hang up on when walking in the dark. For me I go short because I use a kifaru gunbearer and long barrels get in the way of my headlamp

Plenty of good hunting ones…unfortunately the choice of which one to pick is often dictated by which one is in stock.

I ended up going with a TBAC Magnus - a couple ounces heavier than I wanted but super short. I think the whole set up is about 11 oz including the brake.

I looked at the Nosler Silencers and just wasn’t impressed with them. They were still too loud and they went pretty far not to disclose the DB impact. Came across to me as a little too much of a rebranded unit and snake oil.

For backcountry hunting I’d look for the shortest suppressor out of those three. I only have experience with the banish backcountry. Less to hang up on when walking in the dark. For me I go short because I use a kifaru gunbearer and long barrels get in the way of my headlamp
Appreciate it, any take on sealed vs non-sealed and Nosler ammo? Most of them say to shoot lead free, I don't know if that means 100% lead free or if the copper jacket on a Nosler bullet is ok

Appreciate it, any take on sealed vs non-sealed and Nosler ammo? Most of them say to shoot lead free, I don't know if that means 100% lead free or if the copper jacket on a Nosler bullet is ok

Guess I haven’t seen the ones that say lead free. I have sealed and one you can take apart. Probably have 500 rounds through the sealed and 1500 or so through the one I take apart don’t seem much of an advantage or disadvantage to either. Both get soaked in CLR to clean them

Per your comment on another post, living in the States IS fun. This is coming from a former Albertan turned American. I hope you get suppressor rights with Pierre, especially since I hate leaving it at home and coming back to Southern Alberta to hunt. :LOL:

Some parts are fun, yes.

I saw a can at the local gun store yesterday that the threads started 1/2 way inside the can. 1/2 can was in front of barrel- 1/2 can extended back down the barrel towards the shooter.
I have wondered in the past why that hadn’t been done. It was in .25 cal so I didn’t spend much time checking it out.

Anyone know the name? Pros and cons?

Amtac maybe?
The AB Raptor was on my shortlist but I ended up going with a Scythe-Ti. The Amtac ones look interesting but at over 20 ounces are HEAVY in comparison to the shorter titanium cans.

When or if you decide to clean your suppressor CLR works good if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner. Just let it sit and for a day or so and it removes a ton of carbon. Starts out green and is black by the end.
View attachment 326836
View attachment 326837
View attachment 326838
I soak the baffles in Zep brand CLR, but with non-serviceable cans like my Backcountry I think I'll need to come up with a way to plug the muzzle and fill it with CLR since the Cerakote will get destroyed by CLR, or so they say...

I soak the baffles in Zep brand CLR, but with non-serviceable cans like my Backcountry I think I'll need to come up with a way to plug the muzzle and fill it with CLR since the Cerakote will get destroyed by CLR, or so they say...

Just submerged my backcountry for 24 hours without issue in CLR 🤷

I have one on my 204 Ruger. I was shooting it and switched guns to my 222 mag. It felt like a 30-06 compared to the 204 suppressed. I didn’t realize they were recoil reducing as well.

I got another one for my 300 WBY. It isn’t as good at recoil reduction as a brake, but it takes the sting out of recoil and no more blast from that muzzle brake…

IMG_1380.jpeg

I received notice yesterday that my banish backcountry was approved. Excited to try it on my braked WSM. I expect to shoot a bit more because of it.
Hope they get it to you quick. I’m at 35 days since approval and it still hasn’t shipped.

Is there any backcountry hunting suppressor that's come out clearly better than others? I don't know whether to get a Banish Backcountry, a Scythe TI, or a Nosler K-can. They all seem pretty interchangeable to me just looking on the internet and having never shot suppressed before
I'd endorse the Scythe, but it's the only one of the three you listed that I've shot. I also really like the DBAC Dominus, but would rank the Sycthe slightly higher. I don't think you can honestly go wrong. I'm looking at getting a Rex Silentium for a 300 blackout shorty. For my purposes, the price is right and they're made down the road. Point being, there's a ton of options, all are better than shooting without one :LOL:

I'd endorse the Scythe, but it's the only one of the three you listed that I've shot. I also really like the DBAC Dominus, but would rank the Sycthe slightly higher. I don't think you can honestly go wrong. I'm looking at getting a Rex Silentium for a 300 blackout shorty. For my purposes, the price is right and they're made down the road. Point being, there's a ton of options, all are better than shooting without one :LOL:
I've heard good things about the Scythe, I like that you can swap out the tip for a single port or a muzzle brake if you prefer. I think it detracts from the suppressor effect in the end, but still a nice option. The Scythe is sold out atm so I'm kinda back and forth between the banish and the scythe.

What tip do you have on the scythe?

Hope they get it to you quick. I’m at 35 days since approval and it still hasn’t shipped.
I am not worried about timing, post Federal approval.
The sheriff’ office notice and review takes time as well as actually producing the item. Not sure if they are built ahead of time or not.
One number I heard was 30,000 in processing.
I figure I will get it when I sign the post office dohicky.

How the heck you do you pull apart the baffles? Talk about a tight fit. I can't budge them and I don't want to use anything sharp to wedge them apart.

Silencer central has a special tool. Works slick

I've heard good things about the Scythe, I like that you can swap out the tip for a single port or a muzzle brake if you prefer. I think it detracts from the suppressor effect in the end, but still a nice option. The Scythe is sold out atm so I'm kinda back and forth between the banish and the scythe.

What tip do you have on the scythe?
I've got the single port anchor brake on the end. It's probably still as quiet as my Dominus, which is a standard closed end cap. I can't say recoil is much less, either. I just haven't tried swapping it for anything else at this point Taping the muzzle is probably the only factor that will cause me to swap it at some point.
IS there any consensus on how suppressors impact velocity?
Marginal increase for my rifles.

Back