NEW SITKA Ambient 75

School Me on Hunting In Grizz Country

10mm seems to be the round of choice. I have a 357 mag wheel gun (7rounds) or a high capacity upgraded 9mm with red dot, laser, and light.

Which of those is preferable or should I start looking at bigger?

10mm seems to be the round of choice. I have a 357 mag wheel gun (7rounds) or a high capacity upgraded 9mm with red dot, laser, and light.

Which of those is preferable or should I start looking at bigger?
When I researched it to purchase, it was between 357 mag and 1cm. My uncle had a 1cm he was selling so I bought that and rolled with it.

Watch some of the gel/penetration tests on YouTube and also watch some first accounts of the attacks. Also, check out how successful people are with bear spray.

You'll be surprised on what the actual differences in calibers is. Sure, it's unlikely you'll be attacked, but if you are, maybe you'll understand how to survive or prevent it.

I was just watching a first hand grizzly attack today. They did almost everything wrong, but thought they did how they were "trained". No reason to throw the guy under the bus, but you'll get lots of opinions.

More options is better in my opinion.

Watch some of the gel/penetration tests on YouTube and also watch some first accounts of the attacks. Also, check out how successful people are with bear spray.

You'll be surprised on what the actual differences in calibers is. Sure, it's unlikely you'll be attacked, but if you are, maybe you'll understand how to survive or prevent it.

I was just watching a first hand grizzly attack today. They did almost everything wrong, but thought they did how they were "trained". No reason to throw the guy under the bus, but you'll get lots of opinions.

More options is better in my opinion.
Come on man, spark notes. That’s why I asked the peanut gallery. Lots of opinions and ideas. If I start watching YouTube again I’ll start going down those weird rabbit holes again and that’s not good for any of us!

I saw a pretty interesting test once where people were being trained on how to pull your pistol and defend yourself with rapid shots.

They had a full size grizzly bear shooting out of a 30 ft trailer. On a spring loaded track system this bear would stimulate a bear coming at you approximately 25mph.

It looked very intense. Keep in mind these people are less that 20ft from the trailer so 50 feet from the start line.

The most insane thing I took away was the actual average of people hitting the bear literally anywhere on the bear was less than a 40 percent average hit. Less than 10 I believe on a "fatal hit" also over 75 percent didn't empty the clip or wheel.

Pretty wild shit, oh yeah and if I remember right a lot of these shooters were actually in law enforcement or something similar. So they weren't any geek off the street.

Last edited:
The grizzly showdown?
Yep. We're 300 miles by floatplane, surprised him on a moose kill, all the horses bucked. The only time of 200 kills my .270 never went thru. 18 day hunt cost $1800. Hess river, along the nwt border. The outfitters lost all 43 stock due to weather. 2 cree guides, never spoke English. Slept with loaded rifles.

Last edited:
My first time in Alaska I went fishing with a guy on the Little Susitna river and we spent out one night in a tent! worried me a bit but by sun up I finally got a little sleep. There's something you should really try if you go with someone else. Get a copy of Alaska Bear Tales and read the other person a few articles. They will be up all night on guard! I tried it on a nephew in Oregon and he was up all night and we weren't in bear country even!

I’d carry the .357 with a good 180 or 158 gr bullet that will penetrate deep. Depending on where you’re planning on going you might have a small chance of bumping into a bear or you might be dealing with them on a regular basis. I personally don’t buy the idea that you don’t have to worry about them or you’re more likely to be struck by lightning, etc.

If you spend enough time hunting areas with a significant grizzly population it’s when, not if, you’re going to run into them. Have a plan, stick to it, avoid the high risk places as much as possible, and don’t panic when you finally do bump into one. I’ve run into grizzlies up close and still enjoy hunting some pretty high density grizzly country in Montana. They add something to the experience.

Back