Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Road Trip

tillicant

Figured it would happen. Wife does alot of traveling without me(vacations), mostly due to the nature of my business, but also, I just don't like shopping, site-seeing cities. She does hunt with me. Lately she has been hinting of me owing her because she travels with me when we hunt...
Recently we have been thinking, now planning, a trip to YSNP or GNP.
Originally it was a flight out, rent a car & go. Now we are leaning on a road trip, just not sure which park.
Wife hates crowds & from what I've heard they are unavoidable. Any input on either one, pros-cons.

My wife and I have been to Yellowstone twice and both were in the shoulder seasons. Still crowded but not nearly as bad as I have seen photos in peak season. We have stayed in Gardiner and between Cody and the East entrance. September was awesome just because of the rut going on and her getting to hear the bulls. We haven’t made it to GNP yet.

My wife and I have been to Yellowstone twice and both were in the shoulder seasons. Still crowded but not nearly as bad as I have seen photos in peak season. We have stayed in Gardiner and between Cody and the East entrance. September was awesome just because of the rut going on and her getting to hear the bulls. We haven’t made it to GNP yet.
Thanks, Due to schedules, I think we're doing late August.

The scenery and experience of traveling the Going-to-the-Sun highway in Glacier NP are spectacular, but the crowding in recent years has resulted in a visitor permit system and some real limitations.

Yellowstone NP is much more easily accessed by car and provides a more extensive roadway. Yellowstone's natural beauty is also spectacular and with the added attraction of many species of wildlife, not far off the roadway and easily viewed. There are many great hiking trails in YNP and well worth the departure from the pavement ... with bear spray on the belt.
I always say a good hike in Yellowstone is far enough out that we no longer hear the screaming Harleys!

PM me if you wish more info, as my wife and I, as well as grandkids, have hiked YNP extensively.

For GNP, you better have a vehicle registration for the Going to Sun Road unless you plan to use the shuttles. I haven't looked into them since the inception so not sure of availability.

We have been to 34 np. Yellowstone is#1,, you can also drop into Teton np, head west and do the 5 in Utah, or head east and do sw south Dakota. Stop at the Irma in Cody.

If you are over 60 you can buy a lifetime NP pass for $80.
It's like the deal of a lifetime, even at $80. Mine was $10 when eligibility compelled me to drive to Yellowstone in December to acquire my Golden Age Passport, which gets us into any National Park for free and cuts campground fees in half at any federal public land campground.

It's like the deal of a lifetime, even at $80. Mine was $10 when eligibility compelled me to drive to Yellowstone in December to acquire my Golden Age Passport, which gets us into any National Park for free and cuts campground fees in half at any federal public land campground.
Yep, used mine 34 times. Knocking off 8 more parks up the west coast this summer.

Yep, used mine 34 times. Knocking off 8 more parks up the west coast this
Got mine yesterday. We went back and forth on road trip vs fly-out. Decided on road trip, locked in on that. Staying near Hebgen Lake.

Back