Oregon vs Nevada, what’s better value?

bigbamaguy22

What state better is apply to if you could only choose one this year? Looking at doing archery Mule deer and on GOHUNT it looks like I have better odds in Oregon with 0 points on some good units than I do in Nevada. Plus I can also try the random sheep and goat tag and then swing in the premium elk draw. On the flip side I drew a Nevada muzzy tag last year with 2 points and have some points for other species so I already have skin in the game there.

Thanks!

I believe OR NR allocation is 3% of tags. Pretty easy math if true.

(I’m too lazy to search to make sure right now)

OR is one of the few western states I don’t apply, NV has been good to me as a non-resident.

3% for antelope.
5% for deer and elk, split in half for outfitter only tags.

Also a preference state so I’ve wasted a lot of money with no chance in drawing

I was trying to decide between these 2 this year and ultimately went with Nevada but not sure I made the right choice.

I think Nevada is worth it for cow hunting. If I get a pronghorn tag or three, and a deer tag or two in my life, with the hope of drawing a bull tag maybe once, I view it all as a bonus.

I was trying to decide between these 2 this year and ultimately went with Nevada but not sure I made the right choice.

I think Nevada is worth it for cow hunting. If I get a pronghorn tag or three, and a deer tag or two in my life, with the hope of drawing a bull tag maybe once, I view it all as a bonus.
My buddy in Oregon has like 23 antelope points this year said he still won’t draw as a resident.

What happens in Oregon when there are less resident applicants than tags available? Do non res get a larger percentage since both res and non res are in the same pot?

Some of the good deer archery tags in east Oregon seem to have pretty good odds with zero points according to GOHUNT

My buddy in Oregon has like 23 antelope points this year said he still won’t draw as a resident.

Tell him he should check the draw odds reports.

Last year, if a resident applied with 22 points, the only tag they wouldn't have drawn is Hart Mtn.

What state better is apply to if you could only choose one this year? Looking at doing archery Mule deer and on GOHUNT it looks like I have better odds in Oregon with 0 points on some good units than I do in Nevada. Plus I can also try the random sheep and goat tag and then swing in the premium elk draw. On the flip side I drew a Nevada muzzy tag last year with 2 points and have some points for other species so I already have skin in the game there.

Thanks!
Neither

Tell him he should check the draw odds reports.

Last year, if a resident applied with 22 points, the only tag they wouldn't have drawn is Hart Mtn.
He reads all that I haven’t looked into to much since im a nr and only care to hunt 2 tags I wait I was wrong looked back thru my text 19 points

Also a preference state so I’ve wasted a lot of money with no chance in drawing

Gotta have random tags and outfitters can draw up to 50% of the last years quota so it can be tough for a nr.
Oregontags suit com for predictive odds.

Last edited:
Gotta have random tags and outfitters can draw up to 50% of the last years quota so it can be tough for a nr.
I’m actually surpised so many nr apply for that state if I didn’t grow up in that country I’d never wanna step foot in it again

$750 for a nr license and Elk tag is robbery. I can draw all but one archery Deer tag and don't bother; bought another point a cpl hours ago.

The only reason I apply for Oregon is I get to pay resident prices the hunting license and anything that’s OTC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back