Oregon Jackrabbit

Look for the grassy old roads and 10 to 20 year old reprod. Bears love to peel the bark on those young Doug fir trees.

Hey all,

Hoping to get some advice/info on hunting jackrabbits in central OR.

I live over on the west side of the state, but most hunters I talk to seem to regard east of the cascades as the real hunting jewel of the state. I’ve started buying points for big game out there, but it will be years until I draw. It seems like jackrabbit would be a good way to get out there any year, all year. Thing is, I’ve never hunted jackrabbit or the high desert.

Is there a time of year that’s better for success? It looks like most videos are shot in the winter, but I figure that’s because it’s the off season, and jr is one of the only things still open?
I was thinking to go out in early May. That way it’s not too cold at night in the tent, plenty of daylight, and turkey season is on so I could take a tom should I find one. No idea of their habitats overlap, though, which brings the next question: where?

Not looking for specific spots, rather wondering what sort of habitat I should focus in on. Should I be looking in open sagebrush/juniper? Ponderosa forests? Craggy, rocky outcrops? All of the above because they don’t care?

Thanks in advance for any input/advice!
I’m not sure about the coastal part of Oregon but more central/high desert is almost always a good place for rabbit. Salmonchaser definitely has a good point about fort rock/silverlake/Christmas valley area for rabbits. They’re everywhere at all times of the year 😅, it’s been a few years since I had actually inquired about it but a lot of hay growers will pay hunter to shoot jack/cottentails, and the other rodents like voles, ground hogs, sage rats and other things like them that just absolutely tear up their fields. The OSFW/ Forrest service stationed out there would be some good people to call up and see if they know any of the ranchers looking for shooters or specific areas out there that has the bigger boom of rabbits. Best of luck!

I’m not sure about the coastal part of Oregon but more central/high desert is almost always a good place for rabbit. Salmonchaser definitely has a good point about fort rock/silverlake/Christmas valley area for rabbits. They’re everywhere at all times of the year 😅, it’s been a few years since I had actually inquired about it but a lot of hay growers will pay hunter to shoot jack/cottentails, and the other rodents like voles, ground hogs, sage rats and other things like them that just absolutely tear up their fields. The OSFW/ Forrest service stationed out there would be some good people to call up and see if they know any of the ranchers looking for shooters or specific areas out there that has the bigger boom of rabbits. Best of luck!
Thanks for the tip! Never would have thought to ask them.

Are jack rabbits any good to eat? I thought my buddy from Great Falls had said they taste like a cedar plank.
I used to shoot them in Colorado and eat them. Kept the small ones and if one looked big, simply let it go. Also discarded any that didn't have a clear liver. I though they were good eating. Have never seen many around here but do see pigmy cotton tails now and then. They are small but good eating!

Back