NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

The NR had whitetail doe tags in hand, wondering where he could “fill them”. I told him just take and burn them, 97-99% of the whitetail were winter killed/EHD victims. His response floored me. “Your dept sold me these tags, I am filling them”.

This is the mindset I can’t comprehend.

Though I don’t think it’s right I dont blame him one bit. The people that are paid to manage wildlife say there’s enough around for them to sell these tags why wouldn’t a non resident not put his trust in the people that are paid to do it.

Fwp didn’t see much of an issue with mule deer numbers being down 55% in region 7. “We’ve been here before”

Back 2007(?) Zootown R2 had available three (or maybe it was five(?)) OTC "river bottom" deer tags. That was on top of the general tag. "River bottom" held a wide latitude for lawful definition.
At the time I didn't have a problem filling my freezer with meat. FWP had it available - deer overabundance promoted the issuance of tags or so held my belief with FWP.

Point being, people hold some belief, what FWP issues/makes available validates the intent to fill the freezer.

It's encouraging to see passionate people coming together and working on this complex issue. The proposal is well written and I really hope it gains traction.

A few thoughts:

There should 100% be caps on the tags sold, drawn, reissued, etc. to nonresidents.
Hunting animals in their most vulnerable time (i.e. rut) with the most effective weapon (i.e. rifle) makes absolutely no sense.
Outside of reducing populations in certain areas, killing the baby making factories is moronic.

I would encourage all that have interest to reach out to all the CAC members with your thoughts/input. I spent the better part of a week putting together input, trying to be concise and still cover what I felt was most important, and sent it to most of them. I've been getting to talk to some of the folks and they are genuinely interested in hearing from others. @DFS @rogerthat @brockel

I would encourage all that have interest to reach out to all the CAC members with your thoughts/input. I spent the better part of a week putting together input, trying to be concise and still cover what I felt was most important, and sent it to most of them. I've been getting to talk to some of the folks and they are genuinely interested in hearing from others. @DFS @rogerthat @brockel
Tell em more 180s or bust for me. 180 isnt huge. ;)

I’ve tried to be nice to you even though you came at me for no reason. You have shown your inexperience. When people know more than me I tend to sit back and listen, there is a lot you can learn.
Im inexperienced because i know a lot of deer will never make it to 180" ? Or that montana has not ever produced trophy quality that other states do - cause i can read statistics?

You should look at the mirror - i have forgotten more about energy and electricity than you'd learn in 10 lifetimes. But you felt free to sound off and spout your logic there and not listen.

P.s. - i was poking fun at "the hedgehog"

Im inexperienced because i know a lot of deer will never make it to 180" ? Or that montana has not ever produced trophy quality that other states do - cause i can read statistics?

You should look at the mirror - i have forgotten more about energy and electricity than you'd learn in 10 lifetimes. But you felt free to sound off and spout your logic there and not listen.
you and your BHA bro’s can ignore what people are saying and steer us right into LE if you want to ensure your kids don’t get to hunt if that’s what you choose. If you need help killing a dink in October I’m your man.

I’m not confident there will be a recommendation for FWP to STOP November general mule deer hunting but no doubt it needs to happen if things are ever going to improve. I’ve yet to hear a single valid reason why we need to keep doing that. Just because we always have isn’t a good enough reason.

Who here has ever heard a WY resident deer hunter complain that they don’t have “opportunity”?

you and your BHA bro’s can ignore what people are saying and steer us right into LE if you want to ensure your kids don’t get to hunt if that’s what you choose. If you need help killing a dink in October I’m your man.
Hell with that ill wait til the rut! 🤣

For the record - I agreed with much of the proposal. Especially removing rut hunts. I tried to move a work meeting to support commenting in favor of it - and couldnt. Theres things i dont agree with - but ive seen the deer populations in region 7 and the breaks go down a lot in the last 10 years ive been here.

I’m not confident there will be a recommendation for FWP to STOP November general mule deer hunting but no doubt it needs to happen if things are ever going to improve. I’ve yet to hear a single valid reason why we need to keep doing that. Just because we always have isn’t a good enough reason.

Who here has ever heard a WY resident deer hunter complain that they don’t have “opportunity”?

Literally never. Grew up there and have many friends there. The 6 months of hunting season is a uniquely montana demand.

For the record - I agreed with much of the proposal. Especially removing rut hunts. I tried to move a work meeting to support commenting in favor of it - and couldnt. Theres things i dont agree with - but ive seen the deer populations in region 7 and the breaks go down a lot in the last 10 years ive been here.
10 years??

Had you hunted it 20-30 years ago you’d have a better understanding of the squealing some are doing.

A dozen years ago I’d have never been on board with pick your weapon, season, change seasons, etc. I just had not yet seen what happens everywhere, eventualy.

The way MT does it, is NOT working and if something bigger doesn’t happen soon, something drastic will be happening in the next decade or two. Guaranteed.

Last edited:

I’ve seen what your interest does to the landscape. Doesn’t surprise me you don’t care about wildlife or anything but your opportunity to pack a rifle.

I’ve seen what your interest does to the landscape. Doesn’t surprise me you don’t care about wildlife or anything but your opportunity to pack a rifle.
I hope for peoples sake you read things closer.

I sure wouldnt buy a pill from a guy with such poor reading comprehension.

• Haha
Reactions: DFS
10 years??

Had you hunted it 20-30 years ago you’d have a better understanding of the squealing some are doing.

A dozen years ago I’d have never been on board with pick your weapon, season, change seasons, etc. I just had not yet seen what happens everywhere, eventualy .

The way MT does it, is NOT working amd if something bigger doesn’t happen soon, something drastic will be happening in the next decade or two. Guaranteed.
Did you miss the part where i said i supported the proposal?

Eliminating the rut hunt is painfully obvious. No other states do it - for a reaso.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back