GunBroker sales tax

Redmt

I bought a rifle from GunBroker The rifle and shipping were as agreed. The seller, a dealer in Texas, also charged "taxes and fees". The explanation was it was sales tax. Ok, we're still good. My question is will there be additional CA sales taxes or is that already collected by GunBroker? The info on the GB website is pretty confusing.

if the tax paid is equal to or greater than your local rate then no additional will be owed upon transfer.

I went to my local FFL today to fill out the DROS. I had to pay sales tax for the second time.
I bought the rifle through GB from an FFL shop in Texas. They charged me $90.00 sales tax. I went to the California FFL today and they charged me another $87.00 sales tax.
Can anyone point me directly to a direct, non lawyer speak, law or rule clarification? It doesn't seem right that the tax is collected on both ends. Nearly $180.00 tax on a $950.00 rifle isn't right.

No it's not unless it was in the fine print on the sellers ad that you pay sales tax amount. Which it very well might have been. If not it was supposed to come out of the sellers end like @HONEYBADGER said above. If seller did note that they were charging sales tax it really isn't tax it's a fee that there passing on to you, if that makes sense. I am dar from a lawyer (thank god). This has just been my experience on gun broker. You should only be paying for the transfer fee at the ffl. They have nothing to do with the amount you purchased the gun for at least this has been my experience

I went to my local FFL today to fill out the DROS. I had to pay sales tax for the second time.
I bought the rifle through GB from an FFL shop in Texas. They charged me $90.00 sales tax. I went to the California FFL today and they charged me another $87.00 sales tax.
Can anyone point me directly to a direct, non lawyer speak, law or rule clarification? It doesn't seem right that the tax is collected on both ends. Nearly $180.00 tax on a $950.00 rifle isn't right.
I’ve bought from gun broker and they charged me the sales tax for PA.
i have never been charged the tax a second time at my ffl nor have they even questioned me about it. You should have gotten or be able to get a invoice from GB showing that you paid the tax

Yes, I have the receipt from GB clearly showing the tax. My FFL asked how he was supposed to get the money to pay the CA tax. It's very confusing.
He doesn’t have to pay the tax to CA GB forwards the tax.
GB started collecting sales tax for all but 7-9 states.and if you are in one of those states it part of your final bill at check out. When you pay the seller they return the tax back to GB and they are to forward it to your state. That’s how it always has been for me in PA.

Take a copy of the invoice from gunbroker and go talk to the office manager to get it figured out.

Need to talk to the correct person is all.

Office manager of who? My FFL Guy is just one guy.
How would I know that?

Either way, he is incorrect in what he’s trying to do.

So show him the gunbroker invoice, if need be, give him a copy of it so if they audit it, he’s covered.

But since he’s not actually receiving money from you, why is he trying to get the money!

Yup, that makes sense as he was not part of the sale. He's only the transfer agent.
Thanks for putting in a perspective that was understandable and makes perfect sense.

Yup, that makes sense as he was not part of the sale. He's only the transfer agent.
Thanks for putting in a perspective that was understandable and makes perfect sense.
It's just like buying a new car out of state. When you go to register it they want to see the invoice to make sure you paid tax on it. Big daddy gov needs his cut!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back