Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gettysburg

It’s highly unlikely that really happened. The only cartridges that would have been used would be for a Henry or Spencer rifle. The only thing similar in the Civil War would have been paper cartridges, which would not work in a movie set other than one with Alec Baldwin in charge…
I find it flawed too and don’t mean to detract from your OP, but while we’re on the subject, it was rolled paper cartridges for Springfields. It’s the lack of credibility today that gets me. Like those reenactors could still be alive so where’s the interview on the History channel? And those rolled cartridges, did they just do a Rust target practice before filming with blanks again?

Hiked that one as well. I don’t remember all the details, but there were patches we got in the Boy Scouts for hiking these various battlefield trails. I think there were 2, maybe 3, at Gettysburg, and one for Antietem. Boy was it a doozy, though! IIRC it was about 12 miles in full sun on a hot annd humid August day.

I’m a government man and went trough my agency’s “leadership institute.” I spent a couple days on Civil War battlefields with a world-renowned Civil War historian and author. Gettysburg and Antietam were both days that have and will influence the rest of my life.

To the OP, strongly encourage reading Killer Angels. It’s a fairly easy read and will make Gettysburg come alive.

I astounds me how technology has immensely improved ordinance but casualties have declined so much. Medical advances account for some of that, but not all, I think.
Wild to think that even in this technological age that the war in Ukraine is in trenches

My big brother was a Civil War history buff. Many a day we sat in the office after work hours discussing the battles. He took an extended battlefield tour of them one summer & came back very moved. He passed 16 years ago this coming September.

He'd love the pics @shrapnel...

I astounds me how technology has immensely improved ordinance but casualties have declined so much. Medical advances account for some of that, but not all, I think.
Back then soldiers actually aimed their rifles, and knew how to shoot. They were hunters and rifleman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back