Caribou Gear Tarp

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

I don’t have pictures but I got my big break this weekend. For some reason, I couldn’t not catch fish this weekend.

I’m in my favorite place in the world in SW Colorado. I decided to make a short fishing trip to some alpine lakes and the great Rio Grande river. I got in late last night and decided that I’d fish until sunset. I got behind some deadfall because there was a slow current under a pine tree. It took two horsefly casts and I caught my first rio grande rainbow.

The next day was lake day. One of the lakes was still inaccessible so we decided to go to a small reservoir off the main road. I tried a prince nymph and lost it on the third cast. I decided to switch to a double bead San Juan worm. I’m telling ya, I couldn’t stop catching fish. I was using a bobber and it took a few casts to get the right depth. I hit my personal best of 11 fish today, 9 rainbow and 2 brownies. It was amazing.
Well when it's sweet, it's sweet. I finally got one of those fishing stories that no one would believe.

We decided to go back to the same reservoir and spend the rest of the morning there. My final count for that trip was 30 on the dot. So far, I'm at 34 fish for the entire year. One in particular was so fat, that he bent my 9.5' rod into the lake. Very heavy rainbow. I got bored and tried to use a caddis fly and elk hair, didnt bite. Switched back to the San Juan and immediately started catching. It was the most obscene thing i've ever witnesed.

Total count between my mother, wife and I over 1.5 days of fishing - 61.

I wouldn't believe me either.

Well when it's sweet, it's sweet. I finally got one of those fishing stories that no one would believe.

We decided to go back to the same reservoir and spend the rest of the morning there. My final count for that trip was 30 on the dot. So far, I'm at 34 fish for the entire year. One in particular was so fat, that he bent my 9.5' rod into the lake. Very heavy rainbow. I got bored and tried to use a caddis fly and elk hair, didnt bite. Switched back to the San Juan and immediately started catching. It was the most obscene thing i've ever witnesed.

Total count between my mother, wife and I over 1.5 days of fishing - 61.

I wouldn't believe me either.
That’s awesome! Congrats on the great success!

My best “day” (4 hours fishing) is 74, central MT, no SJWs used, but no fish over 16”… maybe the SJW would’ve brought out some bigger fish that day.. still one of the funnest days I’ve ever had. The next day a buddy and I combined for 68 in about a 4.5 hour afternoon with around 20 between 17”-22” on a different river. One of the craziest weekends of fishing and it was mid-March, not hardly a soul on either river.

I once fished a tailwater that was maybe 20' across.. it's now posted. Caught 25 trout between 3-5 lbs. My arm was tired from fighting fish. Never happened before, never happened since. ( tired arm)🤣

Those are nice. Do you make them to sell?
That is the goal. it's all been experimenting and prototyping to date. This batch is the first that made it to completion. Had to learn how to do bluing, and some very finicky cuts with a bandsaw and router. I wanted to go with stainless steel for the frame, but the raw material cost was exorbitant. these should be pretty weather resistant now. Basically the same as a nice shotgun.

shh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back