By far the best time on the water yet.

D

Delw

My 10 year old daughter and I had a local club tourament sat.As we did every month for the last 2 years. But this time it was different. Most of the time she would whine and not fish 100% of the time. I just ignored it, after all she is a kid. but deep down it was getting to be a pain and I could do alot better if I had an adult partner that would fish all the time. Plus it was getting expensive, entry fee, tackle etc.

We'll I will never change partners now(i wouldn't haved befor either even though i did think about it).

At launch it was 35 degrees cold for a kid and really cold in AZ. she backed the boat off the trailer(been doing that since she was 9) I parked the truck. As we were starting to launch she started complaining about the cold. In the back of my mind I knew this was going to be a typical day. Boy was I wrong.
She picked up her new pole and rod she got for x-mas tied on a rattle trap and started fishing. I showed her how to use the reel for about 20 mins. (her first baitcaster) she got the hang of it right away. she came up to the front of the boat with me and fished. we were both fishing on the front of the boat making cast toward the bank. She never hooked me or anything like that.(Ive had pro partners that couldnt do what she did). after fishing for about 3 hours she got hungry(i figured this was the part where she would quit fishing and play with her gameboy). she went to the cooler got a drink and some crackers and came right back and started fishing. I was In shock. I caught 4 fish and she was on the net faster than anybody i knew. when they were in the boat she went right back to fishing as I was putting them in the live well and never stopped fishing.
About 3pm she was casting very accuratly up against the bank. Thats when it happened she hooked a nice fish. Now we are in a canyon and sound echos very very far. She let out a "DAD I GOT ONE GET THE NET" about 200 times while she was fighting this bass.After netting the fish and freeing her lure she went right back up to fishing again.
At 3:50 we had to head back to weigh-in. she dropped me off at the dock so I could get the truck. then she put the boat on the trailer.

The whole time I'm just as happy as I could be. Not because she caught a fish she ussually does get a few. But because this was the first time she didnt whine or complain. Not only that but she fished all the way thru.

we came in sixth but in my book we came in first just because she fished real hard the whole day.
On the way home I was still gloating over that fact. I stopped at walmart and and bought her a game for her game boy. She asked "why, we didnt win any money" I told her it was because I had such a good time and you didnt complain about nothing the whole time.

No matter how she does from now on I will always remember this tournament.

Delw

Delw
thats awesome, im sure you gotta be one proud father about now.She sounds like one heck of a partner ive had grown men give-up and quit halfway through the tourney, get discouraged and whine about the wind and the heat etc....sounds like your gonna be in the back of the boat real soon bud!!!! anyway great job getting her interested early in life!!

"Give me a fish, feed me for a day Teach me to fish and feed me for a lifetime"

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back