Back from Maine

Whiskers

Made it back! Left Saturday, arrived Saturday evening, my buddy JayR showed up an hour after I got in, with 17 fresh Maine Lobster. 6 of us ate till our eyes bugged out. Sunday checked our stands, and got ready for Monday. I was hoping to use the bow, but when I saw my spot I opted for the Encore 50 cal muzzleloader. Monday, no bear, saw one grouse the whole time I was on the stand. Tuesday, no bear saw one fisher, a red squirrel, and a Raven, that was it. Started to get depressed. Wednesday 6pm, here comes Mr Black bear down the trail. I get ready, the hammer won't come back on the Encore. I just fired it that morning, and cleaned it. The bear scents something, and takes off. I sit there fumbling with the damn gun for about 5 minutes, I glance up, and here he comes again. The hammer still won't come back, I have already broken the gun open and checked for obstructions, it seemed clear. I break it open again, the bear wanders off again. The hammer comes back, but now there is no bear...son of a bitch. I lean back against the tree, here comes the bear. The hammer won't come back, I break it open again, and check the primer holder, the primer, etc. The bear now has his nose in the barrel. I am about ready to thru the damn gun at him, when the hammer comes back, he heard the click, turned and faced me. The 248 grain power belt hit him right between the eyes. He never took a step.
maine_bear_and_i.jpg

We were hunting with Laney's guide service. Paul is such a great guy, he was sitting in a tree with my buddy's 11 year old son, so Jay could get off and hunt. I text Pauls wife Marie, she drove out to where I was, helped drag the bear out, loaded it, made sure it was tug right.
From Left to right, me, Marie, and Paul. Marie is a licensed guide too.
paul_marie_and_i.jpg

nice bear Whiskers.

on your Encore........check to make sure the breech plug is completely turned all the way in....(remove breech plug, clean threads real good on both the plug and the barrel... and reinstall breech plug....make sure you use some butt butter on the threads.) that should solve the problem with the hammer.

Did Marie have on them shorts when she tugged your bear

She had shorts on like that and flip flops. Her husband give her hell, what kinda guide wears flip flops into the damn woods.

Either a cute one, or a queer one, was my answer.

Dude... I love bears, thats awesome. Sure looks bigger hanging then it did by the barrel. Kudos and Congrats !

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back