aAnybody hunt Sand Lake Muzzleloader?

Came back tonight from the hunt. When you apply for any hunt you never know what the variables will be. Shortly after getting the tag, I found out the place was flooding constantly this year over a good period of time. Seems like someone in the state was getting adequate moisture anyhow. Not bad in a drought year. Not really helpful for keeping deer there but them's the breaks.
Now the ice storm they had last week was an unplanned event. I decided to only hunt two days after experiencing what the conditions were. Everything has a half inch of ice on it outside of well-maintained State highways. The gravel roads are treacherous. The cattails sound like fields of glass and be careful if you decide to try and sit under a tree for fear of falling limbs. Only solution I came up with is walking very gingerly down the refuge roads and trying to find an ambush point for the deer you might see traveling. There didn't seem to be a lot of deer but there were some. Did I mention the ice? Its damn dangerous just walking on the roads. If you go there for a rifle season, be prepared and hope it warms up before then. Bring a stool or bucket to set on because there's nothing out there that is not covered with ice.
Not complaining, just relaying. Not all hunts are successful. Some are a test of your character and can still provide memories.
I have a Walworth tag for next weekend and they tell me they have twice as much ice. It is what it is. Good luck and be safe.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back