Caribou Gear Tarp

270win 145 eldx H4831sc load data info

Stacking Bones

Been out of the reloading game for a while. Picked up a new rifle for Pronghorn ,Deer and possibly Elk.
I was going to try the 145eldx out of the 270win. Looks like the H4831 is the go to powder . Of course the H4831sc looks like it’s in stock and the h4831 isn’t. Is there a difference in load data between the two or should I go off the h4831 chart from hornady? Also does anyone have any negative close range experiences with the ELDX on deer size game? Like 100 yards.

Been out of the reloading game for a while. Picked up a new rifle for Pronghorn ,Deer and possibly Elk.
I was going to try the 145eldx out of the 270win. Looks like the H4831 is the go to powder . Of course the H4831sc looks like it’s in stock and the h4831 isn’t. Is there a difference in load data between the two or should I go off the h4831 chart from hornady? Also does anyone have any negative close range experiences with the ELDX on deer size game? Like 100 yards.
All depends on impact velocity - not really range.

Ive not heard of a ELDX failure - but most factory loadings and handloaders are using the heaviest ELDX their cartridge can push at (2500-3000 fps) moderate speeds. Imagine its possible with a 300 weatherby/rum and a 178 eldx at 3300+ muzzle velocity - but havent heard of it.

I just finished loading a bunch of 270’s with the 145 ELDx. I ended up with 2 different loads.

For hunting:
56.5G 4831SC
Winchester Primers
It was shooting 2” at 200 yards.

For practice and offhand matches:
Everything the same as above except
52.5G H4350.

Yes, core completely separated from the jacket once and lots of fragmentation every time I used them on -200yd shots.
So maybe 130 grain accubond!
My 7mm rem mag is currently shooting 150 accubonds. Never took it elk hunting. All deer and pronghorn have been bang flops. But it’s a heavy sporter setup. Got a little weight to it. I’m a boots on the ground guy. That’s why I was setting up something lighter in the non magnum setup but wanted to keep the fps up. 270win with the 130-140 grain bullets in deer and pronghorn seemed to fit the bill.

So maybe 130 grain accubond!
My 7mm rem mag is currently shooting 150 accubonds. Never took it elk hunting. All deer and pronghorn have been bang flops. But it’s a heavy sporter setup. Got a little weight to it. I’m a boots on the ground guy. That’s why I was setting up something lighter in the non magnum setup but wanted to keep the fps up. 270win with the 130-140 grain bullets in deer and pronghorn seemed to fit the bill.
117 HH or 122 HHT. mtmuley

Last edited:
Jacket separation is bullet failure for me. Accubonds are cheap and work great. No reason to look any further.

Cause the bullet does do what I wanted it to do.
Jacket seperation is explicitly bullet failure how/why?

The only measure of terminal performance that matters is tissue damage. Retained weight and jacket staying intact are marketing pitches.

That was 143gr in my 6.5 creedmoor, deer and antelope, velocity/energy would probably be +2500/+1900 at those ranges. I started using them because they were very accurate out of that rifle, but I hunt for meat and they were destroying the meat.
That is a fair critique - i agree there is substantially more meat damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back