Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Youth only 1st season Colorado Elk suggestions

HabitatTaxidermy

20181027_074833.jpgIMG950567.jpgIMG951441.jpg
My son(Drew) drew a 2nd choice 1st season bull tag in CO for the 11,12,23,24,33,34,231 group. He has the only tag & the hunt is all about getting him an opportunity. Obviously we are looking for any legal bull. We live in rural Western Missouri & hunt MO & KS. Due to the distance & the fact I am taking him out of school, scouting is not an option. Probably half day before opener is all. We don't have horses & are hoping to get away from UTV's but could bring one if necessary. We are planning on trying to spike in the Flattops for first 2 days then maybe back to the truck for a re-supply or change location & spike in for a couple more days. He is a very accomplished hunter but has never hunted elk before. I have been on one successful backcountry elk hunt in which I called in & packed out an archery 5pt. for my uncle. I have been reading & watching videos everyday but my experience is limited to that one trip. He plays football & I have been hitting the treadmill for a couple months. We are not looking for someone to do all the work for us but we're hoping for some suggestions on areas to research. Certainly not expecting any one to give up a honey hole but hoped someone who is concerned about hunter recruitment & retention would be willing to give a youth hunter some pointers on a good escape route to watch or a deep hell hole they no longer want to climb in any more. We are flexible & open to any suggestions. Just going to throw out a long shot & ask if anyone knows of a landowner that is sympathetic of youth hunters & offers reduced cost trespass fee. Hopefully hunting out West will become a tradition of ours we will be able to contribute to this site in the future. Greatly appreciated any input, David.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back