Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming vs Montana General

Black Elk

Hey all, just starting to plan for my next year hunts. I little early I know, but I have been a little antsy/excited and wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. I have 2 points in both WY and MT (UT resident here). I am doing an OTC Any Bull Elk here in Utah, North Slope Uintas, this fall but want to get some opinions. Is there a state between WY and MT that you would recommend that I build up points for and the other go on the general tag every other year? Should I be building points in both and do Utah or Colorado OTC tags each year until I can get into a limited entry unit in both states? I didn't grow up hunting and so this is all a new process to me. Any help is appreciated!

@NoWiser You're probably right. Should I just build points in both and do OTC options in other states until I have enough to draw a limited entry tag? Is that what most people do?

Why waste your time waiting for a limited entry tag, get a tag every year and learn how to hunt elk.
Personally I want an elk tag in my pocket every year. the only limited entry tags I want are moose,sheep, goat, bison, stuff like that. IMO. Hope this helps

Wyoming apply for LE till you have enough points to 100%draw a general then apply for it. With random you could get a great LE tag while waiting on a general which is still a great tag...

Wyoming apply for LE till you have enough points to 100%draw a general then apply for it. With random you could get a great LE tag while waiting on a general which is still a great tag...
….or you can apply for a general tag in Montana, find out your results. IF you don't draw, then apply for a general tag in Wyoming, as you have much better odds of drawing it than a LQ area for elk.

Be pretty rare to not draw either Montana or Wyoming in a 2 year stretch...I'd say you will hunt either MT or WY 2 out of 3 years.

….or you can apply for a general tag in Montana, find out your results. IF you don't draw, then apply for a general tag in Wyoming, as you have much better odds of drawing it than a LQ area for elk.

Be pretty rare to not draw either Montana or Wyoming in a 2 year stretch...I'd say you will hunt either MT or WY 2 out of 3 years.
Non res wy apps due in jan, mt in april i think. Additionally, point creep is making wy generals not as reliable option as few years ago, it will take 3+ points to be 100% next year and bet its around 4 in couple years way thing is rising. Last year <3 was 100%, 2 -27%: this year <3-58%, 2-0%. I think hes going be hunting a lot of utah and CO otc. Blame Randy, he showed everyone how to do it...lol

Non res wy apps due in jan, mt in april i think. Additionally, point creep is making wy generals not as reliable option as few years ago, it will take 3+ points to be 100% next year and bet its around 4 in couple years way thing is rising. Last year <3 was 100%, 2 -27%: this year <3-58%, 2-0%. I think hes going be hunting a lot of utah and CO otc. Blame Randy, he showed everyone how to do it...lol

Correct, apply for Wyoming and if you draw MT, then modify or withdraw your Wyoming application. If you don't draw Montana, keep your application in for WY general tag.

Why wouldn’t you apply in New Mexico or Arizona as well? No sense in limiting yourself if you want to get out. You will have some dry years no matter what strategy you take but mor chances never hurts.

Blame Randy, he showed everyone how to do it...lol

Funny, though I make a habit of trying to ask folks in the field if they've heard of the forum or the show... essentially trying to see if I can meet a HT'er in the field.

Yet to meet a single person who has ever heard of Randy. I'd say 50% success rate with meateater if the person is under the age of 50.

LOL yeah, its completely @Big Fin 's fault. I have binged watched most of his hunts on YT and Amazon and am listening through his Elk Talk Live right now. Currently am eating, sleeping, drinking all things elk.

I plan to hunt Utah OTC if I don't draw out on my WY/MT tags. Thinking of switching off years OTC with Utah/Colorado so that I am hunting elk every year at least once. Just trying to gauge if the general tags are worth burning 2-3 points or if I am better suited to hold out for a LE unit.

Why wouldn’t you apply in New Mexico or Arizona as well? No sense in limiting yourself if you want to get out. You will have some dry years no matter what strategy you take but mor chances never hurts.

Will probably start putting in NM and AZ in a few years. Just turned 26 and am starting out!

Funny, though I make a habit of trying to ask folks in the field if they've heard of the forum or the show... essentially trying to see if I can meet a HT'er in the field.

Yet to meet a single person who has ever heard of Randy. I'd say 50% success rate with meateater if the person is under the age of 50.
I agree with this. I have not met anyone turned onto the western scene by some of my favorite sources. The whole mobilization of hunters seems independent of any particular media.

I would second the folks here who suggested getting more applications out there. At least for now, there are still OTC options for you, so if you want to hunt elk each year, you can. The point game, whether you're trying for general or limited entry, is only getting harder and more expensive.

If I was in your shoes I’d treat the WY general tag as if it were a LE tag. Build up a few points in CO and burn them, then repeat. Either UT or CO OTC as a backup. Not sure how I’d fit MT in the mix, although Buzz’ idea is workable.

I would say he put fuel on my fire but I was already on my way so to speak.
yea same here. I went along on 5 elk hunts while I lived in Wyoming but at the time, wasn't overly interested in doing it myself. Now that I'm no longer a resident, I have to play the nonresident game. That spark was there pre-Randy but he's thrown gasoline on it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back