Wyoming mule deer

Nick87

this will be our first time hunting muleys. just looking for some general info as far as what we should expect, if anybody has hunted this unit in the last couple of years. I expect there to be quite a bit of pressure but we are going to try to hike in away from the crowds. any info on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The crowds will depend on location. Avoid Hwy 70 like the plague. Battle Mountain will be covered in people and road hunters on the bottom end. The top will only have a few dedicated idiots but water is a very scarce commodity.

We hunt the southern end of the unit and have no trouble killing fair deer by hiking into country other people refuse to go. ATV riders and illegal trails can be a problem in certain areas.

The fish cops used to have a late season deer tag for 82 and it was, at the time, one of the hardest tags to draw in the state. There are some bruisers walking about. The bucks we see during elk season are impressive.

Pray for some white stuff which seems to make more deer appear. Two years ago we had major amounts of snow during deer season and you could hardly walk anywhere without tripping over a 4 pt buck.

Spend some time glassing open slopes and ridges morning and night. Trying to sneak on them in Aspens is a tough game to win. Last year I had a 180" deer at six hundred yards while I was holding a muzzleloader in my hands. :)

Was there last year ,lots of deer but the more deer was found closer to the private land closer to Baggs. Have good maps and try the area from Battle Mountain and to the west.You will see other hunters but we were there after the first couple days of season and hunting pressure was not to bad. You will see some decent bucks ,be patient and look them over,do lots of glassing.

I have this tag also and am leaving Wednesday on a scouting trip to the area. I'd greatly appreciate any tips on where to scout from anyone has as I've never been to this unit before. We have 3 days to learn the country on this trip not counting the day there and the day back.

Also I'd like to ask those who know the country if we need a UTV to explore the unit? We plan to check out several areas in the BLM and spend at least a day exploring in the forest also. We aren't at all against walking but this trip is as much about learning the country as anything for us so we want to cover a lot of it. Going in blind we don't know where to start hiking from yet. Hopefully after our scouting trip when the hunt rolls around we have an idea where to start. I have a Polaris Ranger but don't want to drag my rattling old trailer around if I don't need it this trip. I have a 98 Suburban I plan to use if I don't need the trailer so Dad can have my truck to haul hay with while I'm gone.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

Last edited:
I have seen many "snowmobile" trails on the OnX maps app. My style of hunting tells me to avoid these like the plague but I'm wondering if you would be able to travel these routes via UTV. Not sure on the legality or practicality. I have been looking this unit over but we have 2 points so I may look elsewhere. Good luck!
Steve

Thanks, I tried to call the game warden for the area yesterday and will try again Monday. I figured maybe she could shed some light on this for me. I have that app too. I agree about trying to get away from the established roads, I just need to figure out which one to start walking from. I don't plan to try to hunt off the UTV just driving around like so many seem to, the bucks I'm after are to old and smart to fall for that very often.

Don't think atv are legal on snowmobile trails but not sure. The forest service trail map would probably show which vehicles are legal. I'm betting that your utv would be worth having and some of the roads are very rough for a full size vehicle.

Thanks for the advice. I will get a map when we get up there for the forest trails and hopefully talk to the warden. Sounds like I might need to head to the shop this afternoon and pack the wheel bearings on the trailer after all.

Talked to the warden today, she recommended bringing the UTV also if we want to get around in the forest at all. Got the trailer wheel bearings packed and it ready today.

Roads will vary from pavement to you will wish you had your ranger. Kim doesn't even bother bringing her truck into our camp to check anymore. She rides an ATV herself. Its quicker and smoother.

Thanks. She was very friendly and helpful. I tried her a Friday and left her my number, told her I'd try back Monday or she could call if it worked better for her. I was surprised when she called on a Sunday to help me out. Can't ask for more than that from a Warden. I've had good experiences with the two Wyoming wardens I've talked to over the years.

Any mention of the legality (or not) of atv/UTV on those snowmobile trails? Can you ride them on the forest roads?
Steve

I don't know that country real well, but I assume it is like all beetle killed forests and you have probably already been advised : bring a chainsaw and plenty of gas.

There are enough people about in the fall that most blockages will be cleared fairly quick, but that won't help if you are trying to get a particular place at a particular moment. And many times I've had trees fall and block my way back while I was out.

Links to Motor Vehicle Use Maps bottom:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbr/maps-pubs/?cid=FSWDEV3_008634

I don't know that country real well, but I assume it is like all beetle killed forests and you have probably already been advised : bring a chainsaw and plenty of gas.

There are enough people about in the fall that most blockages will be cleared fairly quick, but that won't help if you are trying to get a particular place at a particular moment. And many times I've had trees fall and block my way back while I was out.

Links to Motor Vehicle Use Maps bottom:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbr/maps-pubs/?cid=FSWDEV3_008634

Thank you for this link! It took a lot of digging but I did find that ATV use is prohibited on the trails. Snow mobile use only. Thanks

ATV's are restricted to white arrow roads only. This is highly abused in the Madres and not much gets enforced by either Game and Fish or Forest Circus. Don't be that guy. Keep it on white arrow roads only.

Wind blowing over trees is a very common problem in the Madres. Aspen trees love to come crashing to the ground with the slightest of breezes. By this time of year all roads and trails should be cut open but I would highly suggest you go nowhere without a full chainsaw. You will need it.

ATV's are restricted to white arrow roads only. This is highly abused in the Madres and not much gets enforced by either Game and Fish or Forest Circus. Don't be that guy. Keep it on white arrow roads only.

Wind blowing over trees is a very common problem in the Madres. Aspen trees love to come crashing to the ground with the slightest of breezes. By this time of year all roads and trails should be cut open but I would highly suggest you go nowhere without a full chainsaw. You will need it.

Agreed. Sorry. I was just referring to ATV usage on the "snowmobile trails" posted on OnX maps. Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks guys. I will pack the chainsaw, hadn't planned to do that until reading this. I have a 24" folding bowsaw and 19" axe I throw in the Ranger for an occasional tree but it sounds like this may be more than I want to tackle with hand tools. I'll throw in the Stihl full of gas and some bar and 2 stroke oil. I'll have a 5 gallon gas can anyway in case I need it in the Ranger, and I'll throw in another gallon I can mix the 2 stroke oil in if needed.

Thanks again for the info, you guys might have saved my trip.

I'll stick to the roads I am supposed to be on also, I have no desire to be the idiot who ruins things for everyone.

Thanks guys. I will pack the chainsaw, hadn't planned to do that until reading this. I have a 24" folding bowsaw and 19" axe I throw in the Ranger for an occasional tree but it sounds like this may be more than I want to tackle with hand tools. I'll throw in the Stihl full of gas and some bar and 2 stroke oil. I'll have a 5 gallon gas can anyway in case I need it in the Ranger, and I'll throw in another gallon I can mix the 2 stroke oil in if needed.

Thanks again for the info, you guys might have saved my trip.

I'll stick to the roads I am supposed to be on also, I have no desire to be the idiot who ruins things for everyone.

You may not need one. Assuming your luck is better than mine.....

Great post Brad. I wonder if everyone takes the beetle kill seriously enough.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back