Wyoming Region R Deer

Brenton96

My buddy and I drew Region R deer tags this year and will be heading out there in October for the rifle opener. We are super excited as this will be our first time targeting mule deer.

Who else will be in Region R hunting deer this fall?

We understand that we will have plenty of company and that it will be somewhat difficult to get any real distance from the roads, but we are going to try to make this trip as backcountry as possible. We will be hiking in and setting up camp in the NF and hunting from there for a few days at a time to sort of hone our backpacking skills for when we eventually draw our archery elk tags for a true backcountry experience. I will try to keep this thread updated with preparation progress and hopefully a successful hunt story this fall.

Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated! We are both very experienced and successful hunters here on the east coast, and we have dabbled in western hunting before, but this will be our first experience living out of our packs for a few days.

NEWHunter

My buddy and I drew Region R deer tags this year and will be heading out there in October for the rifle opener. We are super excited as this will be our first time targeting mule deer.

We understand that we will have plenty of company and that it will be somewhat difficult to get any real distance from the roads, but we are going to try to make this trip as backcountry as possible. We will be hiking in and setting up camp in the NF and hunting from there for a few days at a time to sort of hone our backpacking skills for when we eventually draw our archery elk tags for a true backcountry experience. I will try to keep this thread updated with preparation progress and hopefully a successful hunt story this fall.

Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated! We are both very experienced and successful hunters here on the east coast, and we have dabbled in western hunting before, but this will be our first experience living out of our packs for a few days.
I can’t help - but good luck.

Sabineshooter

I’ve hunted R the last 2 years and tagged out on opening day both years . Start up high in the NF (you can’t hunt the wilderness without a guide if you are NR).Snow seems to push the deer down onto BLM & the BLM around crop fields tend to hold deer all the time .
Like you said there will be lots of hunters and atvs . Do you have an area narrowed down yet ?

NR_Hunter

I’ll be hunting R for the first time this year as well. I have a few areas narrowed down based on my minimal mule deer hunting experience. Finding BLM close to crops is one strategy I’ve considered but I would imagine lots of other people do too.

Chad Gus

Hunted there 10 or so years ago, i hunted the blm with lots of sage brush on it. Seemed to be fewer guys out in that.They take there road hunting seriously out there, and no shortage of dudes walking around aimlessly

NECALI

We’ve hunted the Southern end several times. You’re right about roads. You can do a backpack trip, but it won’t be to far from a road. So just a heads up, you might have company with hunters that have walked in to where your camped. Fun hunting there. Hope you have a great trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DS51