Wyoming moose HELP have points will travel

Venni 1979

I have 18 points and trying to cash in this year, 58 years old , excellent shape DIY hunter. Unit 26 is on my mind? Really like to hunt unit 5 but heard I need to hang all food etc . Due to grizzly action ?? Any suggestions

Hey Venni, I live in East Idaho and will be Elk hunting in Unit 98 Wyoming for most of the fall on my weekends. Let me know your dates on when you are planning to Moose hunting and I could come help you cut it up and pack it out. If you have the points I see Moose almost everyday in Unit 20 as well.

Just so you know, 2 people with 18 points didn't draw 26 last year. If everything stays the same (including quotas) that leaves 3 tags for the 26 people who applied for 26 with 17 points last year. In other words, your odds will be very low with 18 points to draw 26. Not trying to be a be a downer, just want you to know what you are up against if you really want to burn your points this year.

I hunted elk area 51 in 2017 during the October rifle season.
Wasn't able to find a bull elk but I can say I saw several good bull moose.
I think that is moose area 11.
Lots of good access there. Good roads and camping areas.
Look west of Crandell near Beartooth Highway.
Be glad to give locations I saw bulls. Just pm me if interested.
I am planning to be there the beginning of October this year looking for muleys.

I have been on hunts in area 4 2 times and scouted in area 5 with another friend. Seeing moose was easy and area 5 is a great area for a good bull with lots of public lands.

OP, I was sitting where you were for years - just one point behind what I needed to have a decent chance at a unit I wanted, so I can sympathize with your frustration. Unfortunately, I don’t think the future looks a lot brighter. There were 390 non-residents going into this year’s draw with 18 points. There were 239 with 19 points.

I might be wrong, but I am guessing you will not be a shoe in for area 26 next year either. I suspect a lot of people who will be going in to next year’s draw with 20 points will decide they don’t want to buy any more preference points at $150 a pop. I would recommend that you pick the brains of some of the people who are familiar with and who have suggested areas with better odds and then decide how long you are willing to hold out.

Good luck in ‘20!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back