Caribou Gear

Wyoming Elk Unit Opinions or Comments

I have been doing a bunch of research on the different units in Wyoming for a DIY elk hunt. I have currently 3 PP and will get another this year to make 4. When I go on this hunt it will be my first elk hunt in Wyoming. I am throwing around ideas on some different units to hunt. I was thinking about unit 51 and unit 100, after some info I read it looks like these units may not hold the monster bulls that others will, but it may be a good hunt to start on. Also, for being a non-resident it looks like these may be able to draw with out having a ton of PP. Just looking to see what others think or know about these units.

Thanks and shoot straight!

You sure you where looking at unit 100? You're going to need max PP just to have a marginal chance as a NR unless you where looking at cow tags. 100 is a high desert type hunt, not known for huge bulls like some of the other units but there are some decent ones taken from there. But it offers a unique hunt that is hard to get anywhere else with decent numbers which is why there is a high demand for it.

Brian,

You are correct I misread the amount of PP points that was needed for unit 100. Thanks for pointing that out. Any thoughts on unit 51?

Something to consider about 51 is the majority of the unit is Wilderness and you will need a guide as a non-resident to hunt it. If you aren't planning to get a guide, have you seen the unit before or scouted it to ensure the non-wilderness areas will hold elk? It would suck to get the tag and go just to hear them bugling from the wilderness zone and you are standing on the other side of the line with nowhere to go. This past year I got a cow tag for zone 98 because I just wanted to experience elk hunting and needed a reason to go. I thought that since the zone had enough national forest area that wasn't Wilderness that I would still have a chance at finding a cow. At the time of year that I went they were all still in the wilderness zone. Every guide traveling on horseback that went by me asked me what I was hunting and when I said "cow elk" they all gave me good information on where I could find some. Unfortunately all of the spots they told me about were in the Wilderness areas.

gwhunter,

Thanks for that information and no I have never scouted that area to know if elk are outside of the wilderness zone. I am planning on doing the hunt on my own without a guide, so that's why I've been searching and trying to gain knowledge on the best options of units to hunt. I appreciate any input or advise you may have to offer on any decent units, this will be my first elk hunt and I"m just trying to get all my ducks in a row to give myself the best possible chance on a decent animal on public land.

gwhunter,

Thanks for that information and no I have never scouted that area to know if elk are outside of the wilderness zone. I am planning on doing the hunt on my own without a guide, so that's why I've been searching and trying to gain knowledge on the best options of units to hunt. I appreciate any input or advise you may have to offer on any decent units, this will be my first elk hunt and I"m just trying to get all my ducks in a row to give myself the best possible chance on a decent animal on public land.

I'd do what gw did if I were you.. Get a cow tag this year for the unit you think you might want to cash in on. Spend some time learning the area and learning how to hunt elk before burning all those points.

SmallTownArcher- You will need to define what are your priorities for your hunt. (As you research units)

A few pieces of criteria to look at (As an NR with your points)

What is acceptable for size of bull? 350, 260, any bull

Wilderness? How is in the unit?

Public Land? I'll rephrase, accessible public land? Accessible and adequate non wilderness public land with elk?

Terrain? Rough or mild?

How do you like predators with big teeth and/or sharp claws?

Weapon/time of year?

Bull/cow ratio?

How many tags are issued for that unit?

Lesson #1- Numbers lie. Don't take success rates or numbers at face value. EX Unit 60 on a general tag has over 50% success rate on bulls! WOW! Until you realize that it is almost all wilderness. An NR isn't killing anything there other than time, a rabbit or a fish. Another example, Unit 7. Tons of tags, pics of big elk, hard to draw. Must have big bulls you say? Has some, but it has been hammered. Every publication has championed #7 for years. But the amount of public land isn't much. Every DIY guy who has read Cam Hanes is hunting the public elk habitat. The majority of those big bulls come from guys that hunt private (Wagonhound) and fork over $10K. Most DIY guys go home disappointed unless you want a cow.

gwhunter,

If it is the case that it is your first elk hunt I would strongly advise getting the cow tag and learning about elk hunting.

Where are you from? If you are from the flatlands like me you are going to be in for a huge wake-up call hunting elk. They are not like midwestern whitetails. You aren't going to be sitting in a treestand waiting for them and the densities/distibutions are also way different.

After one trip trying to figure this all out the only thing I have figured out is this: I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hunting elk. I have been saving points for a couple of years to try to get a top-notch tag in a limited zone in 5-10 years but I realized that by then I still won't have a clue what i'm doing. So I'm gonna spend my 3 points and buy a general tag and just go hunt. I was staying in Pinedale and while there I talked to a bunch of people trying to figure this whole thing out. I asked them about zones and locations and how to find elk. I'll tell you what they told me about which zones are the best around that area of the state. Pretty much all of them if you are just looking to find elk. (I didn't ask where the 350 inchers were :D) Personally, this year i'm going to be checking out zones 87, 92, and 94 on the recommendation of the Game and Fish staff in Pindedale I talked to who gave that recommendation along with some of the locals I talked to.

I really appreciate all the information everyone has to offer, its nice hearing other peoples opinion on what to do for a successful or learning hunt.

I have considered many things that I'm looking for in my first hunt, or that I would envision in my mind. I'm not necessarily looking to go after a record breaking bull on my first hunt, I would be okay with a small bull that would be respectable and it gives me some room to improve on because I like the chase for that bigger rack each time. If I was thinking about terrain I would prefer, I can't really say at this point because I have never experience any elk hunts yet, but I'm not afraid to put the miles on my boots. I would rather put the time and energy into a long hike to get away from the crowds. Predator wise if I didn't have to bother with them that would be nice.

I'm from PA. so I can't wait to get out west and put some miles on my boots and see what I can find. I have hunted Wyoming once so far and we were chasing speed goats around in Glenrock, WY. with our bows, I connected with one that scored P&Y and ever since I have been ready to go back. I like the idea of getting a cow tag and use that to scout the areas that I'm interested in, now would that use my points to draw a cow tag? What is the difference from a general Tag or cow tag?

Thanks guys for all the great info

No, cow tags do not use PPs unless you put in for a Type 4 full price antlerless tag. The Type 6 tag is random draw with no PPs used. Please realize that when you say you don't mind putting miles on your boots that you're talking about killing a bull that has one hind quarter as big as a gutted pronghorn. There is absolutely nothing like a whitetail or pronghorn hunt when you go on an elk hunt and when it's down then the old saying that the work begins is a real understatement! I don't believe you've stated that you have buddies going with you, so it sounds like you plan a solo hunt. That may also be a mistake for a first timer, but it can be done even though I wouldn't recommend it for someone brand new to hunting them.

Last edited:
TopGun 30-06,

Thanks for the reply all information is much appreciate. I can only imagine how much work goes into getting an elk out of the woods. I do have a group of buddies that will be joining me on the hunt so, that will def. be a plus if any of us where to harvest an animal.

Would you say that getting an Eastmans' subscription or Western Hunter subscription would be worth the money in information that is gained. If so, which one is preferred for quality of information?

Would you say that getting an Eastmans' subscription or Western Hunter subscription would be worth the money in information that is gained. If so, which one is preferred for quality of information?

They don't have any insight, buy because you like the stories. You'll get better info on this forum.

My advice is a bit different. Hunt Colorado if want to hunt the same unit multiple times a decade. That approach allows you to see the same patch of land over and over. Elk will move and differing weather will mean the yearly hunts can be very different but you will learn.

As for Wyoming, I would hire a guide for wilderness to hunt bulls. Driving 1000 miles, paying for gas, tags, food and often new gear will not be that different than a guide if shop around. If is outfitted then you have more time to hunt and getting a dead elk to you truck is 100x simpler.

I prefer DIY but sometimes guided is the better value even if DIY success is more rewarding. Is a long drive home if go 0 for camp.

My suggestion is go apply for general tag as a 2nd choice in the special draw.Yeah the tag costs more but you can hunt a lot of units.Also, you'll learn how to hunt bulls and not cows.Season dates in Wy. will make it so you could bowhunt and rifle hunt on the same trip,by switching units or just hunting the tail end of bow season.The odds of drawing a general tag 2nd choice in special draw are pretty good,and you can apply for a cow tag 3rd choice
What part of Pa are you from??I'm in eastern Pa and have hunted Wy 3x for elk.I may be able to helpyou a little.BTW, Eastmans is a great resource for determining draw odds,terrain,access for the limited entry units in each state,and I would recommend it being from the east coast.Use their imfo to see what you can draw then start talking to the local biologists for the unit.You would wanttolook over maps 1st and tell him where your looking to hunt in the unit.Otherwise, if you ask for his advise, he's going to tell you the same spot he tells everyone that calls.They are very friendly and helpful which will surprise you coming from Pa and dealing with our wardens

They don't have any insight, buy because you like the stories. You'll get better info on this forum.

+1 WB! Also, if the OP would do what mixedbag suggested and go with the General tag as a second choice in the Special draw it's been 100% every year and even a few 3rd choices got the tag a couple years ago. That information is not in the G&F draw stats!

Mixedbag,

That sounds like some great advise on putting in for a general tag for second choice during the special draw. I like this idea because not only would I like to fill the freezer with great meat I would like to have a rack for the trophy room. Now if I draw a general tag as second choice would that use my PP or since its not my first choice I would not use my saved up points? I'm from Northwestern Pa. and that would be great if I could take my bow and rifle. Do you know the deadline dates for applying for special draw, if not that's fine I'll look it up?

SmallTown- I was in your position three years ago and like you, I don't live anywhere near elk country (Ohio). With my meager knowledge base, this is my 2 cents worth.

Figure out what type a hunt you are looking for - for my brother and I, we wanted solitude and 100% DIY. For us this meant an area with no motors, foot traffic only. We were set on Colorado due to OTC tags and settled on Unit 78 and the Weimenuche Wilderness. Spend many, many hours reading everything you can about elk hunting - books, magazines, CDOW website, etc. I have found people on this site are very knowledgeable and willing to help if you simply listen.

Partners - you mention your buddies are going. Your hunting partner can make or break your hunt. What is their level of woods skills? How much can they suffer? What is their mental state when you are soaked to the bone and haven't seen an elk in 4 days?

Fitness - if you aren't in shape you better get in shape. I consider myself in the top 1% fitness wise for flatlanders and I can tell you the San Juans kicked our tails. Six miles with 92lbs on your back is humbling. We altered our training a bit and were better prepared this year in Unit 15. Your hunt will be much more enjoyable and your odds of success much higher if you are in shape.

Lastly - enjoy this journey. We had almost as much fun planning the hunts as we did out there hunting. In 2012 we put ourselves in elk 4 out of the 6 days, some as close as 20 yards just never the right opening to get an arrow through. This year the hunting gods smiled on us and we went 2 for 2 on bulls.

Good luck!

Eastman's has a good section called the Members Research Section. It does give good advice as far as trophy quality, draw odds and pubic land access, as well as some good pics, stories and advice. Like every publication, take the advice as an overview-all advice is the product of the writer.

Where at in NW PA? I grew up in Oil City , spent 4 years at Theil , and now live in Beaver Coynty.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back