Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Elk Question

805Bowhunter

Hi all,
I have one point in Wyoming and was planning on applying as a non-res for a general unit (archery hunt) for the fall of 2018, specifically unit 107 in the south. I have a friend who purchased a ranch in the area and he said when I draw, I would be able to hunt his property. I understand that the unit is not known for huge bulls but have never hunted private property before and wanted to take him up on his offer. In looking at the season dates for the current year (2017) however, there isn't even a rut hunt in this unit is that correct? Ive only hunted Wyoming once before on a September archery hunt and made the assumption that all units had a September rut hunt/season. Just want to confirm that, unless I want to hunt post rut in mid/late October, unit 107 is off limits? Am I missing something? Sorry this is coming from someone out of state and not super familiar with Wyoming elk seasons/dates. Heres whats posted on the Wyoming Game and Fish website...am I missing something?

Area Type Apply For Opens Closes Limitations
107 4 107-4 Nov. 15 Dec. 31 Antlerless elk
107 4* 107-4 Jan. 1 Jan. 31 Antlerless elk valid off national forest within the Henry's Fork River Drainage
107 7* 107-7 Aug. 15 Aug. 31 Cow or calf valid in Sweetwater County
107 7* 107-7 Dec. 15 Jan. 31 Cow or calf valid off national forest within the Henry's Fork River Drainage
107General General Oct. 15 Oct. 31 Any elk
107General General Nov. 1 Nov. 14 Antlerless elk

If I am correct...how difficult is a post rut elk hunt with a bow? Granted its private property but I don't know tons about elk outside the rut, specifically mid-late October.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Look at the regulations. It looks to me like there is a Sept 1-30 archery season.

Look at the regulations. It looks to me like there is a Sept 1-30 archery season.

Thanks for getting back!

However, am I looking in the wrong spot? I apologize if this is right in front of me and I am missing it but Im not seeing it. Do you have a link to where you are seeing this?

Thanks for the help!

-danny

No problem.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH7

Look towards the bottom to see the special archery season. Wyoming doesn't do a good job of showing the archery seasons on their website unless you know where to look. In rereading my post, I can see I may have been a little blunt, which wasn't intentional, just that you need to look at the actual "regulations" section to get the info you're looking for. Good luck!

Last edited:
NoWiser,
Thank you so much! You're absolutely correct as I was not looking in the right spot. Not blunt at all either. I appreciate it a bunch. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again!

I didn't see you mention regular or special draw so figured I'd throw this out there. 1pt in the regular won't get you a general. You'll need to apply in the special to guarantee yourself a tag. And if I'm not mistaken, WY increased the NR elk special tag fee to $1,300.

I think it may get easier to draw with the higher price tag next year.I'm hoping it allows me to again draw general 2nd choice by jumping license fees up.Fingers crossed anyway

This is one of the areas I grew up hunting in. 106/107 both open archery September 1-30. Outside of those dates you will have to follow the dates for the type of tag you draw (1,4,6). You can find big bulls but they are heavily hunted. You might have better luck on private land.

Even though it is a general unit, 1 point may not be enough. More and more people are applying for Wyoming, especially the general units. There is always a chance with the random draw though.

One point of clarification is that I have one point currently so next year, with the 2018 app, I will be applying with two points. I was told it would be enough to pull a general tag (will use with archery) via the regular draw. I am confused about all the different licenses though. To be honest, I havent really investigated it a ton but how exactly does that portion work? Do you need a special Archery lic? I feel a while back I read I needed a Type 9?

You won't have 2 points next year until after an unsuccessful draw. Unless you already have one point right now and can buy another now before the window closes on buying preference points this year.

Sorry for all the follow up questions but doesn't my 2018 application count as my second point? I have a point from this year and then thought my 2018 point would be my second point.

Nope.

One point per season is all that is allowed prior to the application period.
As I found out , you can't buy a preference point for a species that you drew as a first choice in the same year either.
I drew an elk and a deer tag as first choice this year, so I have to wait till next year to buy an elk or deer point.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the others are right. Unless you are willing to fork over $1,300.00 you'll very likely not draw a general tag next year. Dont worry about Type 9 tags, they don't apply to you. To archery hunt 107 you need a general tag, an archery license (about $70.00) and any applicable stamps.

I've got 1 point as well and want to draw a general tag next year in the worst way, but $1,300 is absurd. I'll wait another year and hunt something else somewhere else instead.

If you do draw a general tag to hunt 107 archery, remember you can come back during rifle season too.

Thanks for the help guys. You've all helped with a lot of clarifying and it is much appreciated. NoWiser, I agree, there is no way I could swing $1300 for the tag alone. Im not informed enough to have an opinion on why its that much so I don't feel like its fair to say anything other than I simply can't afford that as a non-resident. I get the idea for having the special draw but wonder how the whole idea is working? Im curious as to how Wyoming residents feel about the special draw tag being so much? Im just not informed enough to have an opinion I feel.

There is no special draw for residents only non residents. You can still apply for the regular price draw and might draw a tag. There is the random draw tags.

I understand that there is no special draw for residents, I just was curious as to what the opinion of a resident is with regard to their current system for non-residents. How they feel it is going with regard to revenue, increase or decrease in number of applicants etc? It is a fairly different system from other western states (I do not feel I have enough info to say good or bad) but was curious what the people living in the state and have control over their system feel about it?

Well, I feel price increase was a little too steep. The special draw will cater to the more financially better off hunters, guided probably but not all. Pretty clear the outfitters will like the better draw odds in the special draw.
For a once in a lifetime type DIY however it may be still be cheaper than a guided hunt. Some premium areas may open up in the special draw. Start with a reduced price cow/calf tag for an area you are considering then apply for the regular tag price after you have a feel for the area and the PP required to draw.

As residents, we do not have PP, we must draw all elk tags via a random draw. Our odds are much higher in many areas than NR with PP. So to some extent you can "count on " drawing some tags with the right number of PP.
I do not want or like PP for residents for elk, deer, or antelope and I'm sure some residents would .

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back