Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

BuzzH

Any news on this?
Yes, discovery has taken place all 4 hunters have attorneys and have paid retainers.

Court date sometime in April.

Also found out the case has been turned over to the assistant County Attorney.

We've been having regular meetings with the hunters, press is still very interested in the story, lots of interest over-all. Had a meeting just a couple days ago with a prominent outdoor company that seems interested in some sort of assistance, waiting to hear back. News report on the issue all across WY television. Bunch of podcasts on it.

For now that's all I can share.

iawhitetail3

I was thinking about hunting this very area myself, but didn't have the stones to do so. I don't think my heart could handle the court case, kudos to the guys who are putting up a fight. As a landowner myself I have mixed emotions about it. If it were me personally, I would want to do a land swap to consolidate my land. If these guys get tickets for walking across air, shouldn't the landowner get a fine for putting up the signs/chain that invade the public land air space?

elkmagnet

If these guys get tickets for walking across air, shouldn't the landowner get a fine for putting up the signs/chain that invade the public land air space?
I can't figure out how one would be a violation without the other being. In a common sense sort of way. Unfortunately that has little to do with a legality.

mhungerford

Yes, discovery has taken place all 4 hunters have attorneys and have paid retainers.

Court date sometime in April.

Also found out the case has been turned over to the assistant County Attorney.

We've been having regular meetings with the hunters, press is still very interested in the story, lots of interest over-all. Had a meeting just a couple days ago with a prominent outdoor company that seems interested in some sort of assistance, waiting to hear back. News report on the issue all across WY television. Bunch of podcasts on it.

For now that's all I can share.
Thank you Buzz.

mhungerford

Few things of knowledge I'd like to chime in with because I think a few things have been brought up without really knowing much about them.

First off, survey markers are not placed or verified using GPS as stated here:

I work for an engineering firm that does a lot of land surveying. They locate and place new property markers using old and new school technology that involve lasers, rulers, transits, etc. NOT GPS. In the surveying world, its critical that the placement of a marker be extremely previse and that level of precision does not exist with GPS.

Secondly, neffa3 is correct here at least for sure in the State of Wisconsin. I'm not sure if that is correct elsewhere.

There are numerous cases where properties in this state had fence lines or roads established that didn't occur exactly on a property boundary and there is such a thing as land abandonment and reclamation by the adjoining land owner. I'm sure someone else here more knowledgably on the legal background of this could chime in. Point just being that if a landowner establishes a fence line as a "property boundary", the location of it is close enough to be assumed as the "property boundary".
That level of percision does not exist with GPS? You are kidding right? GPS is used everyday in the survey world. Huge difference in my trimble R-12 head and your handheld.

seeth07

That level of percision does not exist with GPS? You are kidding right? GPS is used everyday in the survey world. Huge difference in my trimble R-12 head and your handheld.
While used, like your trimble, they aren't used for official markings and surveys. I already explained this. Moving on and focusing on the op...

mhungerford

While used, like your trimble, they aren't used for official markings and surveys. I already explained this. Moving on and focusing on the op...
Ill move on. Funny how just last week I worked with the head BLM surveyor here in Wyoming re monumenting section corners with a GPS. Highest law of the land when it comes to public land. Have a good day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coker737