Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I haven’t hunted 73 but it looks like there is no shortage of public land. I don’t think you’re going to have problems finding antelope and being successful. You might locate the biologist in the Casper area and talk to him for suggestions. I’m just purely speculating but based on the topography it looks like the camp grounds you refer to are in the north west corner of the unit. It looks really mountainous there on OnX. Have you considered grabbing a place in Casper? Again just speculating but based on the topography it looks like the central areas of 73 is more geared toward antelope. We passed through Casper area 2 years ago. There was not a shortage of antelope. It should be a great hunt! Good luck!

Welcome to HT. I think its a pretty good unit, you'll see plenty of buck. The doe tags have been reduced by a lot from what I read on the Wyoming Game and Fish site. The camp grounds in the north west are a ways from where I'd antelope hunt. Just camp along a road somewhere would be my advise. As far as using the points that is really a personal choice if its worth it or not. That being said I'm using my points this year and will be there Sept 23rd (y)

Welcome to HT. I hunted a neighboring unit last year and Pagoat is right, you'll see a lot of bucks. You can camp anywhere on BLM if you choose but if your wife prefers a little creature comfort (shower) Casper has a few campgrounds that may work for you.

Remember, you can camp anywhere on BLM property, but no camping on State owned property. I would for sure apply for doe tags in 73 or a neighboring unit as you might as well get try to get the most bang for your buck while in WY. You'll see lot's of bucks and have a great time. Like other's have mentioned, you can always grab a hotel in Casper if necessary.

I hunted that unit in 2018 and there was no shortage of antelope. Lots of midsized bucks so you will need to be patient to find a nice one. I was not and was done hunting in about 40 minutes into opening day. It was my first antelope though so I was quite happy. You will see quit a few hunters on weekends so try to hunt during the week if possible. We ended up staying at fort Casper campground right in town. Very nice place as they had a large bathhouse that was cleaned daily. If you like to fish, especially fly fish, be sure to bring your gear as the north platte River has phenomenal trout fishing. Good luck!

Hunted it with archery equipment last year we filled our tags quickly with decent bucks Go hunt and hand fun you’ll fill your tags. Creature comforts in Casper but we just camped out in the blm....lots of average sized bucks but we did see a few whoppers on private.

There is a good bit of BLM land in unit 73 but as it is just outside of Casper and there are a lot of buck and doe tags there are times that it seems over flowing with hunters. Trucks and UTVs racing around like it is a NASCAR event at the beginning of the season and on weekends should be expected.

Hey everybody. Plan on putting in for 73, my wife and I have 4 points each and looks like that should draw in the special draw. Do you think we are wasting points in that unit? should we put in for doe tags in 73, or other units that are close? The main question we have is are the few Blm campgrounds close enough to the antelope hunting in 73? PMs are fine. Thank you, Mike

Thousands of tags issued in that unit, might want to find a spot early. Good luck.

I think in general, most units are worth the points it takes to draw them. That said, it looks like they are going to be adding another 400 tags. If the tags are added and with the current economy, I’ll bet you’ll be around 100% draw with 3 points in the special. With those assumptions, you’ll probably be wasting a point.

If I can get antelope in 73 anyone can😂. Look at a lot of antelope before you even load your rifle. Lots of public to hunt with easy access. If you get ANY moisture at all the roads will become a nightmare so plan for it.

Not sure 4 points in the special will work. Our party averages 4.25 and I’m a little worried.

I hunted 34 for deer two years ago on a combo antelope and deer hunt. I believe 34 is the same unit as 73 for antelope. Our antelope hunt was in a different county. But when we did see antelope while deer hunting we stopped to look them over. The average size of antelope bucks was much smaller then the quality in the other county.

My opinion is that 4 points in the special for that unit is to much for the average size of bucks.

I hunted 73 last year. Everyone else pretty much covered it. Lots of blm to camp on, but very few nice, shady spots. If rain is in the forecast, the roads will be garbage. We went the second week of the season, and surprisingly saw very few camps or hunters given how many tags they give out. You will have absolutely no problem filling a tag, but finding an above average buck will be a challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back