Wyoming Antelope draw question

RFoster

Still trying to learn this whole tag draw process since it is drastically different from how it works here in South Carolina. I have been reading and searching info for weeks now and think I have a general plan. Since this would be our first trip out west, we are planning on having some doe tags in our pockets while focusing on learning some areas and public land antelope hunting in general.
Our goal is 1-2 doe tags per person (no more than 4 of us) and to obtain a preference point for future hunts. I know the doe tags are random/no pp and if I understand correctly won't receive pp for not drawing a doe tag in 1st choice like you would for any antelope tag. Are you allowed to buy a pp in even of you get drawn for a doe tag? Or would we need to put in for full price/any lope tags in a high PP unit so we can get a point that way and then hope for doe tags in second drawing or leftover?
I may be overthinking all this but like I said I am completely green with this stuff.

Still trying to learn this whole tag draw process since it is drastically different from how it works here in South Carolina. I have been reading and searching info for weeks now and think I have a general plan. Since this would be our first trip out west, we are planning on having some doe tags in our pockets while focusing on learning some areas and public land antelope hunting in general.
Our goal is 1-2 doe tags per person (no more than 4 of us) and to obtain a preference point for future hunts. I know the doe tags are random/no pp and if I understand correctly won't receive pp for not drawing a doe tag in 1st choice like you would for any antelope tag. Are you allowed to buy a pp in even of you get drawn for a doe tag? Or would we need to put in for full price/any lope tags in a high PP unit so we can get a point that way and then hope for doe tags in second drawing or leftover?
I may be overthinking all this but like I said I am completely green with this stuff.
You can buy a preference point no matter what you do with doe tags. Only time you can’t get one is if you draw first choice “any antelope” tag.

Doe tags are a completely separate draw and you can’t buy doe points, they aren’t used.
You can not get a point for a full price antelope by putting in for the draw, they are purchased separately later in the year.

I think the OP is concerned about losing points if they draw 1st choice even if they plan on doe only hunting.

If your goal is to hunt does and accumulate a point for next year, apply for whatever doe tags you want (first choice, though some can probably be drawn as second), and then buy your antelope point later in the summer. Just don’t forget. The doe tags won’t affect your points in any way.

He needs to just apply for the doe tags they want and then sometime next summer, purchase the antelope points. There is no point system for the reduced price doe tags, which others have already said.

I understand that preference points are only used for buck/any antelope tags and that you can only accrue one point a year. I did mistake the gaining a point if not drawn in 1st choice for antelope, not sure what I crossed that up with.
I was mainly wanting to verify that if we only wanted to hunt does this year while we are learning the ropes, that we could still get a preference point for future hunts by buying one later on in the year.
Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your Wyoming hunt next year. Antelope are a blast to hunt.

" I did mistake the gaining a point if not drawn in 1st choice for antelope, not sure what I crossed that up with. "

It used to be that way, changed for 2019.

If your goal is to hunt does and accumulate a point for next year, apply for whatever doe tags you want (first choice, though some can probably be drawn as second), and then buy your antelope point later in the summer. Just don’t forget. The doe tags won’t affect your points in any way.

yep what he said.

op’s strategy is solid. Going out w/ doe tags is an absolute blast and teaches good lessons without the pressure.

one thing I’d mention since you’re hoping to get multiple doe tags and this is my understanding which may well be wrong, but I think ya Wanta go in and apply for 1 doe tag 2x rather than make one group application for 2 tags.

Again this is my recollection as I was told a couple years ago and could be wrong but it doesn’t cost you anything more.

also you get a better chance of more tags if each person applies for 1 doe tag 2x vs the chances you get as a party, so if you’ve got a bunch of guys committed to going whether they have tags or not (because there is always the chance that some guys score 2 and others score none w/o party ap) that can yield more tags.

good luck great choice of Hunt I love Wyoming pronghorn hunting!!

def wait to put in application until quotas are announced as that can drastically change draw odds from season to season.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back