WyoDoug Virgin Spring Turkey Hunt 2021 (NOTE: Read post 34 before you post. I had to ask this thread be locked since it's been derailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can find a copy of "talking turkey" by a man named Ben Rodgers Lee it will cut years off the learning curve for Turkey hunting I have a cassette copy of it and still listen to it every couple of years. Not just how to call but alot of insight on Turkey behavior

Doug, a box call will make every sound you need to bring in a tom. Diaphragm for close calling if they hang up. Realize if he's with a hen, he will not leave her, find another gobbler.

A camo face mask works great with your camo clothing.

Good luck !

Doug, a box call will make every sound you need to bring in a tom. Diaphragm for close calling if they hang up. Realize if he's with a hen, he will not leave her, find another gobbler.

A camo face mask works great with your camo clothing.

Good luck !
Toms is only ones I can take for spring turkey. Got both electronic and the box call so gonna test them out scouting turkey week after next.

License now in hand for spring turkey. Now ready to do scouting. Warm weather is expected for the upcoming weekend so plan is to drive to hunt area and sit by a try and do nothing but watch. Then later in afternoon, I plan to go to area I will not be hunting and play with my calls and see how they react. Seen turkeys in many of my antelope areas so might just head where I saw them last year and do some turkey calling where there is no hunting allowed on them anyways.

Locals in town have given me a lot of info, hoping it is valid. Since I never hunted turkey before, it's difficult to judge the quality of information you are given. You just have to take it all in and determine the final direction on your own pretty much. I think I got more info talking to people who hunt turkeys regular on HT rather than the town folk, though they are great people no doubt.

Settled on using gear I now have rather than purchasing additional gear this year. Limit is one bird so not going to invest a ton of money for what might be a day hunt at most. I really can't wait for this hunt to happen. Almost as fired up on it as I was for my retirement elk hunt.

Depending on results of this hunt, I might put in for additional hunts elsewhere in the state for the type 3 any turkey tags of which I can get up to two type 3 any turkey tags for total of three tags total for spring turkey and three for fall turkey

I got my first one after hunting 3 hours first time I tried and thought this Turkey hunting stuff is easy but I hunted 14 days the following season before connecting again. Good luck and have fun

Gotta get out scouting. I went to the town where I base most of my deer and antelope hunts from to help someone I knew to clear snow and the lady there running the bar there where I eat my hamburgers at showed me turkey pictures. I had her send them to my phone. This is not the area I am planning to hunt in April but close enough. It's one of the crab apple trees on an abandoned homestead. No one is sure who owns the property anymore and the person showing on the maps is deceased. I would love to get permissions there because I see deer there all the time.

turkeysintree.gif

Last edited:
Well, Doug, someone has to be paying taxes on that property. Can you call the courthouse?
The person who owns the property is deceased. Unless I am involved in the probate case, they can not release any information other than who owns the property. Probate cases are confidential while the case is in process. After case is closed, the public can view it.

I did go up to the house that is still there and left a note offering to pay for hunt access. This is one property I am going to watch because if it goes into arrears on taxes I can buy it by paying the back taxes and the beneficiaries would have 7 years to pay me back after which I will own the property.

Last edited:
The person who owns the property is deceased. Unless I am involved in the probate case, they can not release any information other than who owns the property. Probate cases are confidential while the case is in process. After case is closed, the public can view it.

I did go up to the house that is still there and left a note offering to pay for hunt access. This is one property I am going to watch because if it goes into arrears on taxes I can buy it by paying the back taxes and the beneficiaries would have 7 years to pay me back after which I will own the property.

You might consider another place to hunt. There must be someplace that you don’t need to buy a ranch to hunt.

Update 4/4: Went out for first hunt of spring turkey season. No sign what so ever in my hunt area. I did see a few on private property. Numbers no where near what I saw antelope season 2020. Did some calling, but I think the gobble I got returned was from a human kinda turkey. Oh well, season is not over yet. Time to contact some locals and get ideas.

EDIT: Before you jokers get ideas and the trolls start to troll I am clarifying this post. This ended up being a scouting trip in advance of my main turkey hunt which begins April 20. I did plan to hunt the Gillette area but had no ammo as Sportsmans Warehouse was out. The area around Gillette is open April 1. If you would of read one of my other posts you would of noticed that I could only get little stubby shells so no ammo to hunt which might be good for rabbit but nothing else.

Last edited:
Update 4/4: Went out for first hunt of spring turkey season. No sign what so ever in my hunt area. I did see a few on private property. Numbers no where near what I saw antelope season 2020. Did some calling, but I think the gobble I got returned was from a human kinda turkey. Oh well, season is not over yet. Time to contact some locals and get ideas.
Just so you know, turkey hunt areas within 4+ hrs of Cheyenne are all closed until April 20. Only area 3 opens April 1.

Maybe WyoDoug is hunting under the guidance of the Montana Governor?
Hahaha
Naw....I aint that stupid.

In theory, I should of at least seen some turkeys. I did last month where I was hunting during my preseason scout BEFORE the storm. I didn't see any AFTER the big storm we had. I am wondering if they had a big winter kill or something. This last winter storm we had is the second worst on record.

I did find turkey on the private property I commented about on another post, but have not been able to secure permissions. One thing I do not do is trespass or hunt areas where it is not legal to do so. I also found turkey in town but no shooting there. I am not one to follow game laws to the letter but I do try to follow the intent of the law and stay within the rules for the most part.

I think I’m on Doug’s ignore list from giving him crap in the past. Poor guy is carrying on about his turkey hunt and still doesn’t realize the season is closed. Can’t wait to see him post a turkey picture before the season opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back